Time for an Intervention

by NCO 22 Replies latest jw friends

• NCO
    NCO

Come this July, I will have been out of the JW's for 20 years. And it has been quite a long time since I've really spent any serious time studying up on JW news and doctrines although I do still read here occasionally. But after today looks like I've got some work to do.

My First Sergeant called me this morning asking for my help to fix his dad's truck as I'm an auto technician in my civilian job. So being that I had nothing else to do, I took a drive up to where they live. Turns out that the parts store sold him the wrong belt for the application and their catalog was wrong. Luckily I found the right belt and got it running. So scored some points with "Top".

After the job was done, we went inside and sat down for a while to relax. And what do I see but his entire coffee table is COVERED with Watchtower and Awake magazines. I looked at Top and then at his dad, both prior Marines, and asked his dad "are you or your wife Witnesses?" and of course Top started laughing.

His dad (Top Seinor) said no, that he is just studying with them. And then went on to tell me how he is seeing that they're really right about things and how they're not as bad as people say they are.

I said "well I was one. For 20 years."

Top said "boy am I glad I got you to come over! I never knew that you were one!" I told him that I'd found out our recently retired Command Sergeant Major used to be one as well. Small world!

So for about the next hour I politely talked about everything I could remember from what I'd learned here as well as Freeminds. After everything I told him, he became a little more surprised and would say "wow they never said anything about that!" At the end of it, I asked for his email address to send him links to info he should know about. I said most Witnesses don't even know their own history.

His wife was in the other room on the computer but she was listening and when got to the part about the Governing Body, she came out and jumped in on the conversation. They'd attended the Memorial and had it explained to them why no one partook. That really bothered both of them, the wife especially, and especially how the Governing Body places themselves as the only true channel between God and JW's and how only they have the "truth".

I gave Top a ride home and he said how glad things had just happened to work out to where I'd be there today, not for the truck but for the JW stuff. Maybe sometimes things do happen for a reason.

Soooooo.......Going to be surfing Freeminds and gathering up some research to email to Top's parents. Their JW bible study is going to get a real earful come next Wednesday!

I'm going to try and keep it as simple as possible. I know, simple is never an easy option when dealing with this kind of thing but he's a Marine so simple works best. (had to get that jab in! ha ha!) Besides, simple works best for me too. I'm going to keep it to mainly just what we talked about:

1. Their history as a breakaway group from the 7th Day Adventists

2. Predictions of Jesus' return

3. Beth Sarim

4. The long list of "you can't do..."

5. The pedophile coverup (hoping that episode of Dateline is available online)

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd sure appreciate anything you can offer.

Hooah!

• scary21
    scary21

www.jwfacts.com Everything you need is there

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Be sure to warn them that the Study Conductor will portray you as a tool of Satan seeking to discourage them from continuing to learn the Truth.

Doc

• NCO
    NCO

Hi Change, yes I did get into that somewhat when we were on the topic of the Governing Body. I told them flat out that disagreement with or even questioning anything the GB says is forbidden and will result in disfellowshipping. I didn't go in the direction you did, but that would have fit in with my position in the conversation that they are a high control cult very well.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Sounds like you have it covered well . I agree with DOC make sure you warn them that the BS conductor will tell them this is Satan trying to detour their study .

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I also agree that you need to warn them that the JWs will say that you are an evil apostate. The JWs will tell them that everything you said is LIES and the JWs probably will actually believe that everything you said is lies, so they will be very convincing....They will flat-out deny everything you said.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Thanks for the kudos mate.

Send him to my media page where if they have any doubts at all they will listen to the leaders themselves talk.

Note this entry currently on the front page of Freeminds.org:

http://www.freeminds.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2882:explore-our-media-collection&catid=8:randys-blog&Itemid=571

I also recommend Steven Hassan's Combatting Cult Mind Control in our store:

http://www.freeminds-store.com/books/combatting-cult-mind-control.html

Steve does not mention JWs in this book, because before he met me he didn't know anything about JWs, so it can't be considered apostate. Same with the mesages from the leaders on the media page.

NEW 7/11/2011) TEST For Jehovah's Witnesses by Floyd Kite, Circuit/District Overseer (article) (audio) (discussion). Jehovah sure is testy and has no trust of his servants.

NEWLY RESTORED VIDEO 5/29/2011 Interview with Derek May and Martin Merriman in 1980 - Derek May and Martin Merriman were elders in Jehovah's Witnesses in Ireland. When they heard of the expulsion of Raymond Franz, high-level member of their elite Governing Body in 1979, John May and Martin flew out to ask the Governing Body, "Why?" Governing Body member Lyman Swingle insults all the Jehovah's Witnesses in Ireland by refusing to even meet with them. Not the same as the taped interview with John May and Martin Merriman.

Interview on mp3 format with John May and Martin Merriman coinciding with above interview (1980)

Barbara Anderson's Tour of Beth-Sarim and Rutherford's secret grave (7/9/08)

Executive Director WT Robert Wallen on the dangers of "apostasy" from 2001 KM School (8/13/08)

Edward Dunlap, former Watchtower Gilead Instructor on the Franz Incident (mp3 format, 28 meg)

Phone Interview with Tom Cabeen 5/16/08, former Jehovah's Witness, now Roman Catholic in faith

Cris and Norma Sanchez, former Bethel Spanish translators testimony of how they were treated at Watchtower headquarters in 1979.
    MP3 format | Real Media part 1 part 2 (RealMedia format, free player)

Randall Watters and Robert Sullivan, What Happened at the Watchtower Headquarters of Jehovah's Witnesses in the Spring of 1980? MP3 format | REAL MEDIA format: part 1 part 2

Sam Herd, Governing Body member, gives Sunutko-type talk in 2005! (audio only, mp3 format, 9 minute CLIP from talk)

Fred Franz (4th WT president) stirs up the crowd re: 1975 in 1975! (RealAudio) part 1 part 2

Charles Sunutko's full message on 1975! Get your popcorn ready! (RealAudio)

Randy

• JeffT
    JeffT

I'm sending you a PM, I hope you are able to make some points with them.

• mouthy
    mouthy

NCO!!!Isnt it marvellous that you were there....Good job mate.You may have stopped them from being blinded
    Great posts Randy!!!!! I remember them all

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Wonderful job!!

Just another voice chiming in about warning them that the JW's will call you an apostate and deny deny deny. Definitely counteract that before they talk to the JW's. If they already know what to expect, when it happens, they'll know you were telling the truth.

One more thing: My boyfriend (former Army) and I thank you for your service.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit