Catholics! Why did u choose your religion?

by umadevi 17 Replies latest jw friends

• barry
    barry

gay nice dream,

My wife and I and our two kids have been going to an evangelical Anglican church.

I am a SDA and my wife is a roman catholic .

We will probably join that church it's just down the street from where we live. The two priests are great guys and keen bible students. At church they just where casual clothes not even a tie. Ritualistic the church would be no different than the kingdom hall.

If you want to take communion just ask someone in charge as the rules vary in different Anglican churches. They do take up a collection during the last song and its up to you if you want to donate.

Anglican churches can be very different from Anglo Catholic to Evangelical

Barry

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Hi Nice Dream.

In the Episcopal (Anglican) Church in the United States Communion is open to all babtised Christians, JWs included. My priest said that my JW baptism was valid so I took Communion. However, just to be safe, I was conditionally baptised and confirmed in the Episcopal Church.

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

Thank you Barry and Athanasius.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Anglo-Catholics aren't true Roman Catholics. They are part of the Anglican Communion, referred to as Episcopal, in this country. I attended Anglo-Catholic services two months ago. They only accept the services in use when King Henry VIII broke from the Roman Church. Anglo-Catholics acknowledged that King Henry and subsequent monarchs were head of the church and not the pope.

I attended some churches approaching Anglo-Catholic in NY. This church seemed very Catholic. They reject all subsequent prayer books from Henry's son on as being too Puritan. There was a shrine to Mary with candles blazing. I've attended Roman Catholic services and this church seemed the most Catholic in ritual.

My understanding is that Anglo-Catholcisim was vanishing and the Oxford Movement started a revival to acknowledge the Roman Catholic roots of the Anglican church. I love rituals that are similar to Roman Catholicism. This was so different from any other Episcopal church I've attended. I like attending a full spectrum to understand the communion in its entirety. Incense was very thick-which I adore. I plan to go back but it is too Roman for me personally to be a regular church.

Unfortunately, I don't know the doctrine. I suspect they believe in transubstiation. Henry VIII was very Catholic and wrote theological treatises against Luther. He disagreed with the church concerning power in England. Many of his court were Protestants. He executed many but seemed to look the other way when his favorites converted to Protestatnism. His son was raised Protestant from birth.

• talesin
    talesin

Henry VIII rejected the authority of the Pope when he was refused a divorce, and declared himself the channel of the Almighty. With this one exception, he was, a Catholic.

Thus began the Anglican Church.

PS to Nice_Dream The local Lutheran Church allows anyone to take communion. It is their belief that the relationship you hold with the Creator is private, so they do not deny communion to anyone that attends the service. I can't speak for other parishes, but you may want to check into that. They also have a female pastor!

t

• heathen
    heathen

all I can say is both protestant and catholic are guilty of crimes agains humanity .

• cofty
    cofty

The Roman Catholic Church makes the Watchtower look blameless.

• dgp
    dgp

It is probably safe to say that most Catholics were born in countries where almost everybody else was a Catholic, too. They (we) just followed what was "natural".

When I was a kid, only one of my friends was not Catholic. He is still a Baptist. Everybody else was Catholic. You didn't ask what people believed in.

Oh, my mistake. There was one Moravian Brother, too, only he would do everything a Catholic would do, including prayers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit