How did/does your congregation view going out to eat AFTER the Memorial?

by OneDayillBeFree 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

There was a few that always went out,and it was fun. We made a lot of noise and laughed a lot.

One year my friend had a gathering at her house afterwards. It was fun,and I stayed to 1 am chatting. I think I overstayed that time,but we are both night owls.

Of course,now,all the fun people left for other halls. And since I'm pretty much out anyway,I wouldn't be invited.

Some congregations have to have their memorial at 9 pm. I'm not sure if they would go out or not. Tomorrow is a holiday and many are off,so they may.

• finally awake
    finally awake

One sister used to host a get together at her house after the memorial. I don't know what happened, but she stopped doing it and nobody else stepped in to host. It was not a lively party, and I never saw anyone drink the wine. In fact, there was never any booze at any of the congregation parties. I have no idea what the elders did with the wine.

• blondie
    blondie

I have not been able to find anything in the pubs discouraging or forbidding going out to a restaurant after the memorial. When I was younger and depending on the congregation, some did. Going to someone's house afterwards for treats keeping the group small was encouraged in most congregations I went to. The thought too was to discuss the memeorial among each other (right!).

• JediMaster
    JediMaster

My congregation always did it. When I spent some years in Latin America going out to eat after memorial was also pretty common. Some would actually organize something at home and have people over.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

I know in my sisters conned-green-nation they always do something afterwards.

Here where I'm at, nothing.

Not that anyone is against it per say, but I think they don't want anyone to enjoy anything.

Like fun Nazis: NO FUN FOR YOU!

• QueenWitch
    QueenWitch

Since this was the only holiday we celebrated, we usually went out to dinner afterwards. And because we were poor, we got Memorial clothes. We made a point of dressing up alike either same color or the same outfits.

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

Before I left the org, I remember many families went out to eat afterwards, and nobody really said anything about it. Some families would even organize small gatherings at their own homes, inviting 'prominent' brothers and sisters. Very exclusive affair I guess. It was my favorite part, well that and the whole buying new outfits and seeing old friends.

But when I spoke to my mom about it last year, she mentioned that the elders had been trying to stop them from doing it, something about how it wasn't appropiate to do. I think most still did it, my kh was never very good at listening :p.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

They give people very strange looks if you have a glass of red wine complemented with soda crackers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit