Its Easter, Christ is Risen - Really?

by cofty 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

The resurrection of Jesus is at the heart of the christian faith.

"But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied". - 1Cor.15:12-19

If you are a believer do you find the resurrection accounts to be convincing? How much is this dependent on faith and how much on evidence? What evidence do you find most compelling?

Do you now believe in a bodily resurrection or something else?

If you are not a believer what is the most likely explanation for the testimony of the early church?

Jesus and Mo get the conversation started...

• leavingwt
  • Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

I believe in fairies, it don't make it true.

I do not think that for believers evidence, or even truth, really matters, what matters to them is that their faith works for them, and that I would not wish to take that away from them.

Belief, of any sort, by belief I mean holding that something is true without evidence, is not for me.

But, as the statistics show, (I don't believe they are accurate) 57% of Britons do not believe in ANY one single event or thing, but the skewed statistics show that a lot of people are happy to simply have faith. Fair enough, as long as it does no harm, like my love of fairies, especially the beer fairy.

As to the explanation for what the early church perpetrated, the building of a myth, I think individuals had different motives, but generally I think they did not want to see the movement that had started falter and die. The progenitor of the movement was dead.

The Apostle Paul gave impetus to the idea, perhaps already more than half-formed, that Jesus was raised from the dead, the Gospel writers and others saw in this an opportunity to keep their movement going, and so recorded their fictions.

They did not want to see an end to the religion and culture they had sprung from, and so began the myth of the risen Christ.

• OldGenerationDude
    OldGenerationDude

After leaving the Watchtower I slowly made a return to religious beliefs, but adopting far more critical techniques of learning than before.

I don't believe in Christianity or its dogmas or teachings because of the "resurrection accounts" alone (which generally mean the written accounts in the Christian canon of Scriptures). The early church and the first several centuries of believers did not believe in the resurrection of Christ because they read it in a book, but because of the testimony of living witnesses and those that learned from them.

True, eventually the written text was added, but this was not the source or the sole accounts.

The problem with just believing the New Testament gospel accounts is that this was not what the original Christian movement was based upon. These written accounts did not exist at the time.

I also can't say that I believe in these things because of the current testimony of today's believers either. What a person says they believe is so different from the way they act that this is not a very good rule either.

As for evidence or "empirical data," I would say that would not be a good rule of thumb to follow either. True, something must have happened historically that turned the tables, but "faith" or a conscientious conviction is what it has to come down to in the end, for me anyway. There are no standards set by the scientific method or community for measuring, collecting, proving, or disproving that which claims to belong to the transcendent. If I could subject a god to test of this kind, it wouldn't be much of an almighty, immeasurable god. It would be like trying to measure someone's capacity for imagination with a yard stick and saying that if their imagination can't be measured by the yard stick this proves they have no imagination. It's just the wrong tool to measure imagination with, that's all.

Do I feel my convictions make me smarter, wiser, better, etc. than those who don't embrace it? Not at all. In fact, I have more atheist friends than I do religious ones. I prefer a critical mind open to reason and experience over one that chooses things blindly.

My convictions on this matter are quite difficult to fully explain, because, like imagination, they are hard to measure and escape my capacity to fully grasp. I do have strong reasons beyond a desire to believe in them, but the usual "proof vs. faith" and "Scripture vs. history" and "deist vs. theist" are not efficient ways to explain it. It's a combination of all these and more.

In the end, regardless of what I believe, if it doesn't make me a better person, if it doesn't make me accept and love people as they are (without wanting to change them or claim that they are stupid for not believing like me), if it keeps me from being encouraging to others to follow what they really have come to believe is true--then there's a problem.

Okay, it's not the belief perhaps a lot of Christians say they have or make claim to or perhaps sounds wishy-washy to some others, but it's probably another quirky thing you can either ignore or accept about me. I think concentrating on what we have in common instead of uselessly debating about what others waste the centuries doing is a better what at peace...And I think the time to resurrect that notion is now.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Yup, your belief is on a par with mine, about the fairies.

I do agree though , thoroughly, with your last thought, we waste too much time debating whether there is a god or not, and what kind etc we should get together on what we do agree on , which I take to be that we would all like this world to be a better place, and we should work together to that end, believers and non-believers working shoulder to shoulder.

Why not ?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Phizzy: You have an email.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Eggs, rabbits, and chocolate are all the proof you need that Christ has risen.

Beer is all the proof you need for the powers of the Beer Fairy!

• mP
    mP

The problem is the Jesus Sun is only resurrected on Easter day in the Northern Hemisphere. Most souther xians dont realise they are celebrating Easter 6 months out.

• mP
    mP

@Phizzy

But did Paul mean a physical Jesus or was Jesus something else to him ? Remmeber the Lord is on always the light for him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit