I would like some ideas on celebrating Easter

by umadevi 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

There are really cute ideas on Pinterest. My boys are younger, but I plan on dying eggs ($1 for the kit at Walmart), and hiding plastic eggs around our yard filled with chocolates, jelly beans, fishy crackers, marshmallows, and Gerber puffs. I saw someone else post pics of their Easter baskets and am now going to the Dollar store to put something together.

There is a cute idea where you plant some jellybeans in dirt, and the next day it magically turns into a rainbow lollipop.

You could do a scavenger hunt to find the eggs, and have a little prize at the end. It's a great excuse to have fun! Happy Easter!

I remember looking for Easter eggs when I was 3, before we were JWs, and it was so much fun. I got a stuffed bunny rabbit too.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Eastern comes from the Norse holiday dedicated to the god Ostara. It was celebrated much like it is, today. So, have fun with your children. Decorate some eggs and go on an Easter Egg hunt. Hail Odin Allfather!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My mom let us color our own eggs. The public library and/or the parks system ran some Easter egg hunts. My father never found out about this.

I usually attend Easter Services in NY at a special cathedral. It is very ecumenical. The bishops knocks on the massive, bronze doors from outside to enter. I like the continuing tradition. Messiah is important to me. I usually pay a lot for a decent Messiah performance. My local churches Messiah was nice, too, b/c it had no glamour or glitz.

I bought a Velveteen Rabbit this year. Also, I buy liquer fine chocolates from Teuchers of Switzerland. They are very dear. The NY store is not allowed to send any liquer chocolates.

It strikes me that I spend money to celebrate in a proper fashion. I would not be so fascinated if it were not for Jehovah's Witnesses. Oh, I wear a formal Easter hat to church.

My happiest times were sneaking the Easter eggs when father was not around. I recall a big grasshopper landing on my leg at the library's egg hunt. My wish was always that the First Lady would invite me to the White House egg hunt. Frankly, I did not like the yucky egg salad made from the colored eggs.

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

This is my first real Easter. 2 years ago my husband's family was doing an Easter egg hunt in the yard and the eggs were filled with confetti and everyone would smack the egg on someone's head and get confetti in their hair. I was still brainwashed at the time but they wanted me to join in so I did and it was fun but I felt hella guilty afterwards. This year we're not really doing anything non-religious since the nieces and nephews won't be around but my MIL and I are going to my church to see Handel's Messiah with a full orchestra and choir, and a sermon and possibly modern worship music as well. We did the Stations Of The Cross today. (My MIL is Catholic, I'm Protestant as well as my husband but the whole family is a mix so nobody fights about it.) I have a pastel-colored wreath on my door and we did get an Easter basket as a gift from my SIL. Lots of candy, yummy!!

• mP
    mP

Run naked past witnesses coming to a memorial. As an added bonus you will be too embarrassed to ever go there if you ever change your mind ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit