STD's and Baptism

by NewChapter 23 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Okay, so this came up on another thread, and now I really want to know the answer.

About 10 years ago, and elder told me they now ask baptismal candidates if they have an STD. Maybe they ask about other communicable diseases too, but he focused on STD's. He had no reason to mention this, so I just took it as true. He said they would be baptized last---or something like that.

Now I also remember a sister yelling at her son for using the water fountain at the library because he could get AIDS. I don't like water fountains, but AIDS?

I also remember an article stating that if someone is HIV positive, they should voluntarily agree not to go to book studies in people's home, attending the hall instead. Since all the ways the virus was transmitted could not be known, they should do this out of love, taking the homeowners feelings into consideration. I supposed that is the modern way of shouting UNCLEAN, UNCLEAN.

Anyway. Has anyone heard of the baptism thing? Maybe they became convinced it was a problem because people were claiming they got their STD's from public pools when called into the library. LOL

Any input?

NC

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

well given the fact that most 'dubs are undereducated and subject to every looney rumour out there, I'm sure a HIV scare could easily happen

• heathen
    heathen

yep it's true , one of the baptismal questions is that . I don't remember any warnings from jesus about getting disease in the baptismal pool . I'm surprised they haven't moved toward a dunking booth . LOL

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Dubs don't get HIV. They are monogamous, don't take blood, don't use IV drugs, don't drink from fountains, and don't invite HIV positive people into their homes. It's the newbies they are worrying about! :)

I asked an African sister about it---in her congregation back home---she said they simply don't ask. She said there are a lot of people infected, and everyone is quiet about it.

NC

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I'd like them to cite a single case of HIV that was transfered via a public pool

• blondie
    blondie

This topic reminded of some especially crass and unloving principles regarding AIDS that the WTS implemented in a 1994 Awake article.

*** g94 3/22 14 Helping Those With AIDS ***

Because of the life-threatening nature of AIDS, it is wise to keep in mind some reasonable precautions when welcoming an AIDS sufferer into our personal association or that of the Christian congregation. First, while no general announcement is to be made, we may want to inform one of the elders in the congregation of the situation so that he would be prepared to give a kind and appropriate response to any who may inquire about the matter.

The prudent AIDS sufferer realizes that others are sensitive about this disease. Therefore, out of respect for the feelings of those who want to be of assistance

, it would be better for the AIDS victim not to initiate public displays of affection such as hugging and kissing . Even if there is little or no possibility that such gestures could communicate the disease, this restraint will show that the victim is considerate of others, thus engendering similar consideration in return.

What should a person who knows he or she has AIDS do when he or she wants to become one of Jehovahs Witnesses and

get baptized ? Out of respect for the feelings of others, it may be wise for them to request a private baptism, although there is no evidence to suggest that AIDS has been transmitted in swimming pools. While many first-century Christians were baptized at large public gatherings, others were baptized in more private settings because of varying circumstances. (Acts 2:38-41; 8:34-38; 9:17, 18) Another alternative would be for the candidate with AIDS to be baptized last.

Realizing that many have fears of the unknown,

the person with AIDS should not be quick to take offense if he or she is not invited to private homes right away or if it seems that a parent restricts a child from being in close contact with him or her. And if one of the Congregation Book Studies is held at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses, it may be wise for one with AIDS to choose to attend there, rather than in a private home, unless that one has discussed the situation with the householder.

Another situation in which an innocent person could become infected is by marrying someone who is unknowingly harboring the AIDS virus . The need for caution in such circumstances may be particularly necessary if one or both of the intended marriage partners had been promiscuous or had used needles to abuse drugs prior to coming to an accurate knowledge of Gods Word. Since there is a growing number of people who have asymptomatic HIV infection (that is, no outward symptoms as yet), it would not be improper for an individual or for caring parents to request an AIDS blood test of the prospective mate prior to engagement or marriage. Because of the devastating, fatal nature of this disease, a potential marriage partner should not take offense if that request is made.

If the test proves to be positive, it would be inappropriate for the infected party to pressure the intended mate to continue the courtship or engagement if the prospective mate now wishes to end the relationship

. And it would be wise for anyone who previously lived a high-risk life-style, was promiscuous or used drugs intravenously, to choose voluntarily to be tested before beginning a courtship. In this way, hurt feelings could be avoided.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I suppose there could be some danger if an active herpes infection is involved on exposed skin. That's a skin to skin transmission that doesn't have to include sex, and can be picked up on many parts of the body. But that can happen anywhere, but there is a lot more exposed skin, and a lot more touching of strangers than usual. Yet chances are slight, and it's always been around.

NC

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

talk about paranoia back in 1994.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Couple of things. FIRST, instead of educating about the way HIV is transmitted, they tell others to just accept it. Have they made any efforts to really educate in this area. Afterall, they have the equivalent of a College degree. And secondly:

The need for caution in such circumstances may be particularly necessary if one or both of the intended marriage partners had been promiscuous or had used needles to abuse drugs prior to coming to an accurate knowledge of Gods Word.

Why the word PROMISCUOUS? More misinformation. What if the person had simply been married before? What if they only had one partner years ago? They really are an ignorant lot.

NC

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Yeah, but even in 94, the knowledge was there. Have they done anything to update this? Dubs doing research may only pull up this information.

NC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit