Who is keeping watch over my soul, that I should be submissive to him?

by irondork 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• tec
    tec

Greybeard - Loved the depth of your answer. Well said.

Peace,

tammy

• N.drew
    N.drew

It might be what leads you (holy spirit) not who leads.

"Obey the that which leads you". (Hebrews 13:17) The word "leaders" as in the NWT Strong's identifies it is used just once. The previous verse says do not be forgetting the doing of good. Only God can judge what is good. So what leads a person to do good is the Holy Spirit. That which leads is not "who", but is WHAT.

http://biblos.com/hebrews/13-17.htm

• N.drew
    N.drew

NWT Hebrews 13:17

17 Be obedient to those who are taking the lead among YOU and be submissive, for they are keeping watch over YOUR souls as those who will render an account; that they may do this with joy and not with sighing, for this would be damaging to YOU

Translated from the Greek

Obey your leader (Matthew 23:10) and be submissive the same ( http://concordances.org/greek/846.htm) for watch for the souls of you account (word) about to give (restore) to the end cooperating with joy not groaning* unprofitable for you this.

I suspect "this" means the leading of the holy spirit.

* Ephesians 4:30 Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption

Genesis 6:6 The LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart

Psalm 78:40 How often they rebelled against Him in the wilderness And grieved Him in the desert

Isaiah 63:10 But they rebelled And grieved His Holy Spirit; Therefore He turned Himself to become their enemy, He fought against them.

1 Thessalonians 5:19 Do not quench the Spirit

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

I think the bible is a crock and its only use is for the "church" to gain control of the unwitting masses.

That being said:

Why do you ask? Do you feel the need to be submissive? Do you want someone else to take YOUR lead?

Regardless of whether or not you believe the bible, answering these three questions will in turn answer yours, but it will do so personally for YOU.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo
    Honestly I do not think there is any "true" religion out there that has a patent on "the truth". JW's think they do but they have become known as false prophets world wide.

Greybeard, I really like your answer.

I agree. I don't think any one religion has a monopoly on the truth, nor does any one of them, probably, have the whole truth. But increasingly I think it likely that most religions have glimpses into the truth, partial insights into the great truths of existence.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Thanks, Greybeard.

As for some of the other answers, I am reminded why I post here less and less.

• N.drew
    N.drew
    As for some of the other answers, I am reminded why I post here less and less. Londo111

Oh good!

And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. Mark 13:13

• Londo111
    Londo111

N.drew: Alas, I wasn't referring to your posts.

• N.drew
    N.drew
    N.drew: Alas, I wasn't referring to your posts. Londo111

Even better, I quess. So.....Londo what do you think of it being The Lord by Holy Spirit not the men?

• seenitall
    seenitall

You can find scriptures to show authority and rulership over whoever you want to. Misapplication of scripture in todays world is the problem. Read the context, research Paul, the people or congregation he was writing to. Read Bible Commentaries written in the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries to get a true understanding. The refreshment you get and when your eyes are opened to see the real meaning of what was written back then continues to amaze me. Matthew Henrys Commentary is the best thing ever written that explains what was going on. Russell based many things on his writings, even copying without giving credit. Trying to force what was written 2,000 years ago into a small group that believe they are chosen is pure BS and a slap in Jesus face.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit