An Elder's honest opinion...saw this on another site...thoughts?

by MsGrowingGirl20 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• MsGrowingGirl20
  • panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

Kendall-Jackson Vintner's Reserve Chardonnay, California. Delicoso! It's five o'clock somewhere!

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

A mind opening is a beautiful thing.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Yes, he comes across as a little arrogant at times, but I get him. Although obviously never an elder (wrong biological plumbing), I was where he was once. Funny, a long time ago I made a critical post on a JW forum that was caught here. Posters here said it looked like I was on my way out, even though at the time I saw myself as loyal.

He won't last long as a JW - at least not mentally. It seems to me there are a few pieces yet missing for him to complete the picture, that's all. They'll come.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I didn't read the 2nd page wanted to jump in before we all moved on. First off Kudos's to Juan Viejo2 He's really hitting it out of the park these days! The background information allowed me to fit shadow elder's opinion piece into a better context.

There is a whiff of elder 'haughty' in his words but I agree with some of what he discussed......... the honesty of 1975 for instance and the climate among official JW's. However looking for nicer, kinder JW's to emerge is in my opinion not going to happen. The WTBTS has never understood the importance of the Rank and File which is why so many of the brothers and sisters have no elderly care.

The education issue is one consideration. Shadow should know that according to a Pew survey JW's are the least educated religious believers in the USA........... that doesn't mean they are the dumbest, but in general it may be that their critical thinking skills are rusty from a lack of use. Or they may be suffering from fatigue as the years roll by and nothing changes for them.

That lack of education shows up here but there are additional factors to consider. A number of our posters contribute by using an I-phone etc. Text messaging is also a factor as well as communicating their thoughts while at work.

A final point when I first found this site a year and a half ago it really bothered me to labor through the grammatical and spelling errors. I blasted one person for this and he replied that English was not his first language.........oh. Well I don't have a second or third language so it wasn't for me to judge it was for me to pan for any gold that poster might have offered in his post.

P.S. Shadow Elder................... Long hair, a beard or not shaving is a problem in your world but in the real world the dress code no longer looks like reruns of Ozzie and Harriet. The times have changed and between the JW'S and the Mormons why go out of your way to look like a geek.

P.S.P.S. The JW funeral talk is killing you guys do you honestly believe that it really comforts anyone to realize that the sole importance of that event is to give another talk to non witnesses who have no interest in that particular message?

• garyneal
    garyneal
    Whilst a lot of what the Watchtower teaches is plainly wrong, at the same time, can somebody point me to another religion that is not even more wrong?

Define 'even more wrong?'

Iam in the position where I would Love to attend a church that teaches truth, for the same reasons I originally joined the JWs, that hasnt changed, I would go back to the JWs because I think most of them are about the nicest people you can meet, thats probably why half of them are still in it.

I see, it is that 'where else can we go' mentality that keeps a lot of witnesses in. I will admit, I was never a witness but even I fell victim to this mentality.

Nambo, it took me a while to realize this but the whole point is not to run to another church or religion as a replacement but to be free to serve God in a way that you do not find unacceptable. Good luck to you.

As to the elder, I really do appreciate his honest post about the Society.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit