I sure miss Bob

by sooner7nc 12 Replies latest jw friends

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

I had a friend named Bob. He was a damned wonderful person and I loved him very much, still do as a matter of fact. Thyroid cancer took him about 6 years ago and I count myself as lucky for the short time we got to spend and work together. He owned a carpet cleaning business and I worked for him part-time when I first decided to go back to school. I was working full-time at a PVC pipe plant in Weatherford, Texas, going to school 2 days a week, and then working for him another two days a week. It was a very busy time and I learned much not only from the classes I was taking but from Bob as well. You see Bob was one of those walking repositories of life experience that not everyone has the chance to know. Some people will live 60 or 70 years and not have shit to show for it experience wise but not Bob. He had it and he shared it. We spent many days working hard and talking out a lot of things that each of us struggled with. You see Bob's ex-wife and at the time current wife had been JW's. Bob had associated with JW's for a long time and while respecting them didn't agree with them at all and me, well let's say that I was definitely on the way to "getting the f*** out of Dodge" as the saying goes. Great times and wonderful memories.

One thing that Bob told me that I always remembered in the back of my head just came flooding back a few minutes ago. Bob served during the Vietnam War as a Flight Engineer/Gunner on a UH-1 Huey helicopter. He never got sent overseas somehow but did his two years stateside and in that time met many different soldiers from all across the United States that he never might have met otherwise (Bob was from Pittsburgh, PA). Well, what stuck with me was this comment that I can remember like it was yesterday:

"Yeah Mike we had guys from all over. Country boys like you from Oklahoma and Texas. Farmers from Iowa and Nebraska and street kids from Brooklyn and the Bronx. Everybody got along for the most part but you know the ones that annoyed the most? The ones from California. Those guys would talk all day long and not say a fucking thing."

R.I.P. Bob

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

So what made you think of that all of a sudden ?

• carla
    carla

Sorry you are missing your friend.

"Those guys would talk all day long and not say a fucking thing."-- yeah, I know a lot of people like that too!

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Sounds like ol'Bob was a real pistol.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

I think about him alot. I work at the hospital he died at and do walk-throughs several times a day past the room he was in. He was just a really great friend. Funny thing is I only knew him for 14 months before he died but when we started working together we clicked immediately. It was like we were lifelong companions. An awesome experience.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

He was. We would go on carpet jobs and he would introduce me by a different name at every place. One time I would be Clarence the next time Howard. I never knew what to answer to.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

It is sad to lose any friend or loved one, but Bob sounds like one of life's diamonds, rare and beautiful. I love concise homespun wisdom too, sounds like he was full of that as well.

A loss indeed, but you were blessed to have known him, it will be nice if people think of us as you do of Bob.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Another hilarious thing he would do was to mispronounce words on purpose when talking to people. He would be going over a cleaning and restoration invoice with a customer and when he got down to the line about "debris removal" he would pronounce debris to rhyme with remiss. He would do this with a complete straight face and you would see these customers not sure whether this guy was being an asshole or was just stupid. I never laughed so much in my life as when I was with him. Classic Bob

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Oh, and he didn't really dislike people from California. Neither do I. You just talk too much.

• BreathoftheIndianNose
    BreathoftheIndianNose

Ya Bob sounds like he was a cool dude. None of us knew he even existed untill you shared your memories of him on this post. Now we know and we now have an idea of how much he ment to you. Thats why i think posts like this one are important. Thanks for sharing.

R.I.P. Bob

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit