Is the bible really god's inspired word?

by yalbmert99 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mP
    mP

of course its the word of god. even the books that dont mention god or jehovah but concentrate on breasts and blow jobs like song of solomon, esther and ecclesiastes are gods word. i love the book of easter or ishtar, where marduk and ishtar save the jews by themselves wothout god. like all good jewish holidays its on a full moon. its funny how all this memoriable events like the exodus, purim etc are always on the full moon. god moves in mysterious ways.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

The Bible as Protestants have it is just one collection of scriptural writings. Catholic Bibles have more, and include what Protestant Bibles call the Apocrypha. There are other writings that are left out, for instance the Book of Enoch, to which Jude refers. And then there are things like the Gospel of Thomas, widely thought to have validity.

Bearing all that in mind, and also that the nature of holy inspiration is not defined, I'd say cautiously that at least some and maybe much of it is inspired in some measure, the historical accounts being historical accounts. But by inspiration I do not mean the process whereby "God wrote the Bible" as i've heard so many JW's describe it, giving an image of God sitting at a desk, pen in hand.

I don't think so.

• glenster
  • mP
    mP

glen

what important point do we learn from the link ?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

genocide, slavery, rape, stonings, creation, an impossible flood-----

If it IS inspired of god, then it's a nightmare!

I vote no. (are we taking votes?)

NC

• ziddina
    ziddina

Considering the age of the bible - only around 3,500 years - and its real origins - Bronze-Age Middle-Eastern male-dominated mythology written down by Middle-Eastern males in a state of captivity to larger, more powerful nations - there isn't much to recommend the bible to a keen-eyed observer...

Add to that the various things that WERE scientifically incorrect in the bible - and you've brought out so many of them in your opening post, I hesitate to repeat any, but I always thought the fact that within the first 20 verses of the bible exists one of the most glaring scientific errors ever, demonstrates its origins as the mythology of backwards, ignorant, superstitious Middle-Eastern herdsmen....

People who still believe that the bible is the "word of 'gawd", haven't done research into the actual origins of the bible, or are somewhat unfamiliar with [or strive mightily to ignore...] what the bible actually states throughout its pages, or are very unfamiliar with the scientific and archaeological discoveries that show what an inaccurate conglomeration the bible is.

Zid

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

LOL, It's natural for ex-JWs to take a hard line against the Bible- but the Bible is a lot of fun; finding out who wrote it, where and why, and what Middle-Eastern myths it has incorporated. Of course it is all silly, but an endless source of amusement.

Inspired? Not.

• mP
    mP

the only miracle in the bible is the fact we still talk about it today and many believe. all the other myths became stories but somehow the bible keeps on trucking.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The bible is a mixture of factual events that happened involving the ancient Hebrew nation, entwined with those factual events

were embellished stories told by the Hebrew scribes and priests of their god in which they worshiped namely Yahweh.

Those many stories were told to create standing relevance to their god, such as Noah's flood, the great cataclysmic event of Armageddon and so on...

All ancient civilizations and the many diverse gods of which those civilizations worshiped, had told an enormous amount of stories of what their god

or gods were to do for these select people, going as far back and further than the ancient Egyptian civilization.

It would be therefore fair to say that all stories told of the gods were inspired by godly devotion and worship.

The bible shows a practical reference to that.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Deuteronomy 20:16-18

16 However, in the cities of the nations the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. 17 Completely destroy [a] them—the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites—as the LORD your God has commanded you. 18 Otherwise, they will teach you to follow all the detestable things they do in worshiping their gods, and you will sin against the LORD your God.

I would expect more from a "loving God."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit