Update on my son...

by diana netherton 21 Replies latest jw friends

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

Briffoux...that's exactly what he's doing. My uncle's company was contracted to do

the job. I guess if you're a train lover it's a dream opportunity!!! This is his first

"adult" decision and I think one that he will never forget.

• tec
    tec

You did great!!!

It is so hard to stand back and let them make their own decisions, and even to stand back and watch someone else help because that help might not be taken as well from you, just because they have to branch out from mom at some point.

He does sound like a beautful, caring young man. Well done.

Peace,

tammy

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I'm not aware of the backstory to this post, but let me know if your son needs a contact point in Dallas, I've lived here most of my life.

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

Thanks, Six...he's well aware of my JW upbringing. Is texas hot this time of year?

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Diana,

Just read you previous posts. Sounds like he has a hard time with boundaries and understanding that it is ok to pursue his wants as long as he is being responsibile and honorable. I don't think he needs it explained what a good or interesting opportunity is, or that working at the gas station is probably not going to be a lifelong source of fulfillment. It sounds like his issues are with boundaries and dealing with authority. Spending time with his uncle might be good.

I live in Dallas and I would guess I am about smack dab in the middle of your age and his. PM me if I can ever do anything to help out. Community College is very affordable here and if he sticks around he might enroll and find the spark.

As someone that was a 20 year old guy not toooooooo long ago, he probably is still trying to figure out what makes him spark versus what makes those who have raised him spark. I would just encourage any passion he might have at the moment, even if it was running a convience store. We know how far $8 an hour goes, but maybe he doesn't. Sometimes, that kind of thing really gets a young man motivated after a while.

Was he raised JW? It might explain his adversion to college, issues standing up to authority and acting in his self-interest, and also why he thinks he should be content with a low paying job. There is so much programming that a born-in never get's rid of completely that converts never understand. This is a big difference between me and my sister and my parents still. I have been dealing with these same issues my whole life.

-Cage

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

Thanks, Cage!! No, he was not raised a JW. I made sure of that, but his childminder

was a JW. She was from a lovely family of 10 children, and they took very good care of

him, plus I knew that he was in good hands. He did go out in service a lot in his pushchair

with his childminder though....but he has always seen through the ruse and the hypocrisy

of the organisation, even at a young age. But I am sure I've done other things to cause him

to have issues!

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

Exciting news! What a great learning experience for your son.

• mind blown
    mind blown

Fantastic News! And your Son sounds like a lovely young man

Yes, at this point he needed your direction in what to say to his boss and what time he should go in etc., he's still young and inexperienced and will most likey need a more tips in the near future. However, encourage him to use his own thinking skills in the process too (well, what time do you think would be a good time to go in, etc. turning the question back to him) it will do him well and help him to think and disern. I'm just trying to encourage you Diana because it has helped my daughter is so many ways. She's one smart cookie now and the outside world can be a tricky place.

This was a HUGE learing lession for him into man hood! Congratulations mama! I wish you both well

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Just read the posts Diana. I'm glad that things worked out well. I was very much that way at that age, except I had JW parents and got pulled toward pioneering and then bethel. Finally in university at this late age. I'm jealous of your son. He's got a great mom and this is a wonderful opportunity for him to travel and do something interesting. If he get's into steam engines, would he be at all interested in Mechanical Engineering?

Texas weather? Hee hee. Ever hear of a thing called the Internet?

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USTX0327

• Quandry
    Quandry

I am glad things are working out for your son.

I noted the words "pushchair" and "childminder." I find these words so charming! Here in Texas we say (along with ya'll and howdy) stroller and babysitter. Would you be from UK or Australia? I know those two places are very far apart but both use English and I was wondering which place you are from?

It is starting to warm up in Texaright now it is a beautiful spring, with so much in bloom and temperatures in the 70's and 80's. During the summer it can be hotter that hell!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit