do jw charge for lit in other countries

by meomy 11 Replies latest jw friends

• meomy
    meomy

hello! I enjoy reading all your posts. I have been lurking for months . I was hoping that someone could tell me if we currently charge for literature in other countries or is it free like in the U.S. (just for voluntary contributions. Thanks hope this will help me iron some things out. Still very undecided and confused.

• JWinSF
    JWinSF

As far as I know, they do charge for literature in other countries. They stopped charging for lit in the USA when they got into a court case and jumped into bed with Jerry Falwell. Seems they were going to lose their tax exempt status unless they did it on a contribution basis. When this happened shortly before my leaving the Dubz, the promo BS that was given to us was that it was more in keeping with Jehovah's "received free, give free" principle as stated by Jesus. Seems that only those in the USA, then, were judged worthy of receiving the lit on a voluntary basis. Another nail in the coffin of Watchtower Lies.

• HenryP
    HenryP

Every country has adopted this arrangement.

• willy_think
    willy_think

Hi
    yes they do. Whether or not the WT charges outright or asks for "voluntary contributions" depends on the tax structure of the country. In the U.S. the WT only went from a marked price to contributions with changes in the U.S. tax laws. there is material addressing this question available online.

The Great and Powerful Oz:

pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
  • lurk
    lurk

they dont aks for money her in the UK well not in my cong anyway.lot of ppl feel embaressed offering a magazine then when the person says yes, hinting at a donation... looks bad i think.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Australia was charging for literature up until Jan 2000. Why?

In 1999 the Australian govt announced that we were getting a GST (VAT) tax system from June 2000.

In 1999 the WTS in Australia announces that literature will be distributed on a "donation" arrangement as of Jan 2000.

Make your own conclusions.

• moman
    moman

Why would any corporation want to pay taxes?
    The Borg is the same.

• cellomould
    cellomould

The WT Society is a

pretending to be a

No more crocodile tears! You'll not get my donations!

cellomould

"In other words, your God is the warden of a prison where the only prisoner is your God." Jose Saramago, The Gospel According to Jesus Christ

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

It is a donation offer here in Australia as well in NZ. When it first came into practice in NZ...everyone was encouraged to pay for their magazine order our of their own funds...at the usual price previously asked....

AND THEN...when the donation is received...they too should forward this donation on as we were told it was not ours to keep.

This 'double dipping' system used to bother me...as I would see some pioneer sisters paying for their magazine orders each month...trying to be righteous and not complain....and faithfully they would try and place these magazines knowing full well that they would never be compensated for their loss.

What a scam.

Beck

• Kent
    Kent

They DO charge in every country they don't have to pay taxes!

Yachyd Da

Kent

I need the new KM's as they come! Please send me scans!

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit