Became Atheist

by d 20 Replies latest jw friends

• d
    d

I was once a JW from 1995 until 2008. Although my childhood I believed till saw the truth for myself. I have since became an atheist I felt some hostility from a lot I know. So I wanted when and why do you become an atheist.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Some days I'm atheist and others I'm agnostic.

There isn't a set date or place I had an epiphany; I just kept reasoning that God either cannot exist, or if he does he surely can't give a crap.

Any other conclusion, to me, seems illogical.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I was baptized a JW in 1991---not born-in. In November of 2010, I became an atheist. I don't believe I said it outloud until some time in 2011, just before I found this board. I had already faded.

NC

• cofty
    cofty

I became an evangelical for 9 years after the borg - full-on born again, adopted child of god, Jesus loves me, praise the lord amen.

The problem of evil finally did it for me, the sudden death of a christian friend was the start of my doubts and the Asian tsunami was the final straw. In between I studied and prayed every possible answer to the question.

There isn't one that doesn't involve JW-like theological gymnastics and obfuscation.

I was an atheist for quite a while before I admitted it to myself or used the word.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I was an atheist for quite a while before I admitted it to myself or used the word.

Same for me, and truly weird. When I finally did admit it, I didn't know what to do with it. It was a very free feeling, but what to do? I allowed myself to question god's existence that day in the museum, and to completely reject the bible and JW's, but god? I HAD rejected a god belief that day, but my brain had been through a lot---so it took a little while before I was comfortable with the thought.

But saying something outloud sometimes makes things real for me, so I was in a kind of limbo until I said it. So one day, I texted my atheist brother, and because we both love irony, I wrote:

Are there any rules to being an atheist?

"Only the golden rule"

then he let a moment pass and sent:

"if you like"

LOL. And it was done. I embraced my new unbelieving heathen self!

NC

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

My theistic views waned a few years after realizing the WT was a fraud. About two years ago I started reading Thomas Paine's The Age of Reason and that was the coup de grace for my belief in the Bible and Judeo-Christian concepts.

Since then I've been lurking around the non-theistic realm of deism, atheism, pantheism, agnosticism, and everything in between. Currently, I'm "hardcore atheist" (aka militant?) when it comes to the personal omni-gods of theism but, uh, softcore agnostic about deistic/pantheistic concepts. And the more I learn from science the more I'm drawn towards balls-out atheism.

Aside from that, I'm interested in secular humanism as an alternative to a life of faith.

• d
    d

I am a true atheist but to I keep it on a down low to avoid conflict . I also called myself a practicing secular humanist. I try to help people out of a altrustic need.

• unshackled
    unshackled

Currently, I'm "hardcore atheist" (aka militant?) when it comes to the personal omni-gods of theism but, uh, softcore agnostic about deistic/pantheistic concepts.

Agreed. This is an important distinction, Cheez. If someone asks "do you believe in god?" the first question back should be what type of god? Theism - god of the bible? Aw, hell no. Deism or pantheism? Maybe, but who can know and further why bother.

Secular humanism...IMO therein lies our hope for us crazy mammals to prosper on this rock long into the future. Or at least until the end of Mad Men season 5.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    If someone asks "do you believe in god?" the first question back should be what type of god?

Damn right, let's get some precision up in heyah.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I cannot remember when I actually became an Atheist, it was a longish journey from poorly believing JW (I never swallowed all the B.S) through looking at Christian religions, then other faiths, then checking out the Bible and the claims made for it, then thinking deeply about the idea of "God" or a Supreme being or whatever.

As with our estimable Cofty, the "Problem of Evil" was the big clincher.

I do not label myself Atheist if asked, because it usually elicits the sort of response that I cannot be arsed to deal with, "So you have no morals then?" sort of rubbish.

I say I am a Rational Humanist or somesuch, that seems to satisfy most people, not JW's of course, they look at me as though I have two heads and rational/humanist is immediately translated in their mind to "Apostate", mind you, that is one thing they are right about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit