Soul Searching, need advice re: Physical Attraction

by Nice_Dream 24 Replies latest social relationships

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

Ok, so I was a young JW when I got married, and married a nice guy who was my first boyfriend. I thought we had chemistry, but things weren't really working out in the sex department after we got married. We had a pretty infrequent sex life for our whole realtionship...I'm talking months of dry spells. A few years after we married, I was really attracted to a coworker, and finally felt was sexual attraction was like and wasn't sure what to make of it.

My question: Does chemistry fade in time and it is better to be married to a friend? I feel like we don't really connect on an emotional level either...and I'm not sure if it's just me or if we're not super compatible. I don't like giving up on our marriage, and we've been going to counseling to work on things. I just wanted other people's opinions on what being married is all about.

Thanks!

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Marriage is a work in progress arrangement.

I've been married for close to 40 yrs. The sex thing is really overated, and you get to appreciate that as time goes on. What becomes important in a relationship is the way you are treated, appreciated, cared for, and respected.

• finally awake
    finally awake

In my experience, "chemistry" can mean different things. When I was young, I would occasionally meet someone I was instantly attracted to. That raw physical attraction doesn't last - people are not generally wired to continue to feel overwhelming lust at the mere sight of the same person for 50 years. It also doesn't guarantee that the sex will be all that great. There were plenty of occasions where the reality just didn't measure up based on the initial level of attraction.

Then there's the sort of chemistry that is based on finding someone you really "click" with. Just ROn may be the only person on earth who really gets my sense of humor, and he's certainly the only person who's ever been willing to put up with my BS long term. Neither of us looks like we did 20 years ago, and there have been dry spells in the bedroom, but I have never felt like there was anyone else for me.

I don't know how anyone could enjoy be married to someone they didn't feel a deep emotional connection with. To me, that is the defining characteristic of a godd marriage. I don't know how to build that - but marriage counseling seems like a good place to start.

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

Thanks for the advice. I definitely love my husband and don't want to give up on our marriage. Sometimes I just wonder what marriage should be like because I don't have any other relationships to compare ours too, but we do 'click.' He likes my lame jokes, puts up with my BS, and is the nicest guy I've ever met. I'll definitely keep up with the counseling and learn what I need to change to improve things as well.

• Wizard of Oz
    Wizard of Oz

@Nice_Dreams........Your experience and situation sounds similar to how I perceive my long lost JW daughter may possibly be feeling round about now. From the small amounts of information I have been able to find out, she was married at eighteen, had her first child around nineteen or twenty and she turned twenty-four earlier this year. We have not seen or spoken to each other since she was seven.

But back to your question. I think you have been given some really sound advice here. I wish to address the sexual attraction you mentioned. It's only human, to long for all of the things we find pleasureable in life which have been denied to us. The longer we are denied our lost pleasures the more we desire them. If you enjoyed sex and have endured long dry spells with a husband who has no interest in worshipping your body because of WBTS doctrine; that is the catylist for your sexual attraction to your co-worker. These feelings manifested them selves because you were being treated with respect and dignity in a manner that your husband should have been done. You were regaining your sense of self worth and feeling wanted as a worthwhile person again.

A way was beginning to appear to allow you to once again enjoy something which you enjoyed and had been denied you by the person, if he truly had love in his heart; to provide. It isn't right or wrong; it's just being Human. Even if you did do the horizontal bop. Your in counselling and I take it, still with your husband.

I hope you are able to work out your situation and go on to live a happy and fulfilled life without too much heartache.

If your initials before you were married were BRS and your mother's were AMS before and after marriage and you are in OZ or NZ........maybe you need to send me a PM

My tag phoneticaly is my initials

Luv'n'Thorts.......WOZ

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Is your husband willing to go to marriage counselling? If not will he discuss the 'lack' in the bedroom with you in a respectful loving way? It sounds like you are good for each other in every other way and sometimes these issues can be relatively easily sorted out. Even if they're not I agree that a good man that you love, like and respect is by far preferable to a fantastic lover who is not a patch on the man your husband is.

Loz x

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

dont forget medical or other issues that may effect libido...

Oz

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

It sounds like you need to have an honest discussion with your husband---not about attraction to a coworker---but about how things are working out in your marriage. Maybe he thinks YOU aren't interested, and you're thinking HE's not interested, or maybe it is something else. You won't know until you discuss it. I think you owe it to the marriage to give him an opportunity to work with you.

Yeah--the physical can come on really strong sometimes, but there is rarely logic behind it. I'm always lusting, lol, but that doesn't mean the object of my fascination is worth my time. So I just try to keep my brain engaged. We are capable of doing that quite well.

NC

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

Quarterback - the sex thing is really over rated

I've never felt that sex is over rated. Then again I've never felt that tiny things are over rated, like leaving wee notes, buying wee gifts, nice surprises, telling your lady that she looks amazing. Although in saying that i've made a right royal arse of a couple of great relationships so i'm doing something wrong!

• Wizard of Oz
    Wizard of Oz

@Iceltic............Me too, made a right royal arse of it a couple of times. Some relationships just run their course I guess. I'm making this post to bump thread....... see earlier post.

ANYONE.....if you think you may be able to help with my quest. Thanx

Luv'n'Thorts WOZ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit