Why?

by bushido8000 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• bushido8000
    bushido8000

So after 18 years (since the age of 5) I have converted from the JWs to Protastant Christianity. I have been biblically shown what I believe to be truths about the Trinity, Hell, and Heaven (ideas that I debated against classical Christians for many years) since I left the Witnesses. I read a lot of things on this site (as well as others) that really confuses me. It seems that a good deal of (if not most) Ex JWs become either Atheist or Agnostic it seems. They stop seeking God and seem to just forget about Him. Why is this?

• cofty
    cofty

For me it was a result of applying the same critical thinking skills to beliefs about god that I had depended on to reason my way out of the cult.

Many atheists don't "forget" about god, often they have more of an understanding of the big questions than many professed believers.

Welcome to the forum bushido8000

• sizemik
    sizemik
    They stop seeking God and seem to just forget about Him. Why is this?

Good question bushido8000 . . .

I think it just seems that way. Speaking for myself, I don't see my atheism as a conclusive determination, ie; a belief. It's purely an acknowledgement of the fact that all the touted God concepts in existence today don't satisfy my sense of logic, nor find evidential support.

Atheism for me, is not a static point of destination . . . but rather a new starting point of discovery with all the bullshit cleared away.

I haven't ruled out God in the search for truth. I'm more than happy for him to show up as part of the equation at any stage . . . but the evidence suggests it won't be any of the "Gods" worshipped currently.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Hey bushido, I think it was precisely by seeking that I realised Bible God doesn't make any sense.

Think on this one text, Acts 10:24, God is not partial.

Compare that to the reality we face. If God wasn't partial, he wouldn't allow thousands of denominations to exist, let alone all the other non-xtian religions.

It is estimated a third of the world pop is xtian. We r left to assume god kills off the rest. You don't see a problem with that? And then, what if u got the wrong demom. down?

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

This is my theory.

JW's are trained to destroy other folks belief's and inplement their teachings as truth. When one realizes that the dubs are full of shit, its hard to 'go back' to those former beliefs or another religion that you have been trained to distrust.

• cofty
    cofty

its hard to 'go back' to those former beliefs or another religion that you have been trained to distrust.

In my case I became a born-again evangelical for 9 years. My atheism is based on reason not emotion.

• Botzwana
    Botzwana

I will be going to a non denominational church for the first time in my life this Sunday. It is mostly for my wife. I met with them and they were SO nice. Even brought me Taco Bell back from the states!

• I Want to Believe
    I Want to Believe

One of the things that led me to question my faith in the first place was seeing all the evidence of how the global flood was impossible. Sometimes to destroy a structure it's easiest to take out the foundation; knowing that the Bible can't be taken literally made it so much easier to reject 34 years of programming, and once the logic ball starts rolling it's hard to stop (I mean, transubstantiation makes less sense than anything JWs ever came up with).

I'm not an athiest though, more like a agnostic deist (at least at this point).

• still thinking
    still thinking

Hi there bushido...you might find some answers on the link below, I describe what I feel about god now and why...others also share their experiences of their journey from belief to atheism/agnosticism. I would also be keen to hear you response to the question asked...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/223428/1/IS-GOD-REAL-HOW-DO-YOU-KNOW

• mouthy
    mouthy

BushIdo>>>>> Because when you have been blinded ...You need a Specilist to help you regain your sight ,After many operations
    I Called on the greatest Physician off all time. >>>> Jesus Christ.....!!!!I said " Father if your there,please open my
    eyes, mind, & show your self to me."...VOILA!!!!!! I was "BORN AGAIN" Oct 20th 1989.2 years after I had received
    the loving foot of fellowship out of the Organization of Jehovahs Witness..
    O.K. all you atheists.

Rock me to sleep

Your loving Granny Mouthy Grace Gough...> If you google me you can throw MORE rocks

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit