States of hypnosis - getting people to face facts

by Qcmbr 20 Replies latest social physical

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Hi Quke,

You make some very good points. Most make sense to me.

Len

• still thinking
    still thinking

Very interesting...I do feel a bit like I have awoken from a trance. I don't think it is too much of a stretch to say religion and belief is hypnotic...especially if we think we will benefit from it.

Religion and belief appeal to our subconscience because it lulls us...we can tune out anything negative and focus on the positive...then we can hypnotise others with the joy of it all...LOL the JWs go on about tickling the ears....ha ha...thats exactly what they do when they recruit.

• talesin
    talesin

Q - yes! For me, this goes under the heading of "things I learned in therapy". In fact, she used the exact same example of driving somewhere, and not remembering the whole trip.

*and the light keeps getting brighter*

:)

tal

• Violia
    Violia

One day I visualized C.T. Russel -a young man searching for meaning of life- and it was near the turn of the century and apocalyptic rantings were common. I had a moment of clarity. CT Russel was just some guy who thought the end was near and started a religion. That was all it was. That does not sound like much but it was what shook me into reality. Since then I see the Wts for what they are, just another religion started near the turn of the century -playing on peoples fears and hopes for a savior.

BTW, hypnosis is interesting and can be very helpful .

• Chariklo
    Chariklo
    I took 2 years+ of solid research to come to the conclusion my faith was a sham but I presented this information to my wife and she didnt reject me because it was also at the same time we were both fuming at a seperate situation where the church had really failed so we were both agitated and she was defending me from local church leaders. Since her conscious self was in 'defend hubby' mode and shocked by church leadership behaviour I was able to present my information in a matter of a few hours and get most of it direct to her sub conscious without an extended period of rejection/ fear and defense of her beliefs. Now she's almost out.

Qcmbr, that's almost an exact description of how I came to get taken in by the WT.

Uncanny.

I have a feeling I am not particularly hypnotizable, but I still fell for the JW bullshit. Go figure.

Breakfast of champions, that also counts for me too. Weird.

• talesin
    talesin

@ Violia

BTW, hypnosis is interesting and can be very helpful .

Agreed! The JWs teach that it is a 'scary' thing, and people can control your mind with it. Malarkey! It's a wonderful healing tool, and self-hypnosis has helped me to deal with the unbearable pain in my foot for the past 2 years, without the use of narcotics.

tal

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I was hynoptized even tho I was very skeptical. In fact, when the psychologist ordered me to raise my arm, I started laughing so hard b/c it was so hokey! Guess whose arm went up? It felt as tho some outside force was raising it. I was trying to let it stick to my side in defiance. The parlor trick convinced me.

I tried other times but I'm not certain. They told me to raise my arm and felt no urge to raise it. I was supposedly in a light but still effective state. My body was extremely relaxed. It felt abnormal but not weird.

They all warned against doing it with just anyone.

I don't see religion as bad even if it borders on hynoptic. My favorite services are Taize services, an ecumenical community in France. There is special music. I do relaxation techniques. When I start, I only go for dinner with church members. I am convinced I will only sit for five minutes and leave. Everytime I end up staying and want to continue forever. It is painful to stop.

I'm Episcopal and there is much repetition. It makes sense that there is brain chemistry and biological responses to religion. I never felt relief with the Witnesses. The clock seemed stuck in endless time.

Eastern religions also use repetitive techniques. I like the repetition which goes against my Witness training. My church has elegant use of language. I don't think God cares if I do not use my brain to self-compose. Part of the appeal is the sense of community through time repeating the same creeds and chants.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

The WTS and other cultic groups rely on the creation of the cultic personailty to contol its members. The monotony of study materials are essential to the process. They actively train people not to think for themselves. Read the paragraph - read the answer - no real discussion because you have to cover the whole chapter in one sitting, read the next paragraph. . .

I have found that getting a JW into an emotional state, preferably a calm one, can help get them out of the cult personality. JWs are even taught to "put on the new personality"

The phenomenon of highway hypnosis is a common dissociative experience for most people. Daydreaming while you are sitting at a meeting (lol not exactly wat the WT wants) is also a common dissociative experience.

The indoctrination process is capitalized on by cults.

Dissociation by itself is a natural and even healthy. But various forms of abuse (including spiritual abuse) takes dissociation into an unhealthy experience where people live in that dissociative state most of the time and rarely return to their normal state.

Many people will revert to this cult personaity state and refer to it as like being in a fog or floating.

The goal of people who leave cults is to get back to their normal state. For those who were born in that is a real challenge. They have to create a self with no idea of who they really are.

• jay88
    jay88

E=mc**2 = "Lady Lee"(They have to create a self with no idea of who they really are)

phe·nom·e·nal
  • geevee
    geevee

I have studied hypnosis and am now a qualified clinical Hypnotherapist.

One thing that really struck me from the start was the similarity between group hypnosis sessions and public prayer at the hall... acomplishes the same thing!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit