Aspirin linked to huge reduction in cancer risk.

by botchtowersociety 10 Replies latest social current

• botchtowersociety
  • NewChapter
    NewChapter

hmmmm---been taking aspirin daily for 10 years---still go the big c. On the other hand, I certainly didn't get a tumor. BUT,

25-years-ago, I used to clean for this woman whose brother wrote a book and gave speeches. His book was all about aspirin and it's benefits. She told me some about it, and said he had this idea that it was very healthy for everyone. I think this was even before an aspirin a day was known to keep the heart attack away. I didn't listen closely---I was but a kid, I was never gonna get sick----but we sure do hear a lot about aspirin now.

NC

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Newchapter, my suspicion is that aspirin's anti-inflammatory activity is behind these results.

I think a lot of these cancers are linked to long term low level inflammation....which I think has a minimal role in your variety of cancer (as compared to others, such as colorectal or prostate).

Inflammation is a regenerative response to insult and injury, which leads to rapid cell replacement/mitosis. Over time, some of those divisions will go awry, and you get a really bad cell line that proliferates.

BTS

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

You have a PM, NC.

BTS

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I have to say I think that's a pretty good assumption. Many years ago, they found that obese children have a mild inflammation that they believed led later to heart disease. I remember thinking if they controlled the inflamation, why couldn't they protect these children? The Native Americans were onto something with their willow bark tea.

Hmmmm---so, I wonder what the correlation was to the increase in cancer and Tylenol hitting the market? Could be an interesting study. I think ancetametaphen came out sometime in the 50's. Before that, aspirin was the most common option.

NC

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Hmmm. The otheer NSAIDs, though, are anti-inflammatory as well. Maybe they act on a different link in the cascade, which might explain the difference.

NC, the statins, prescribed for cholesterol reduction, are also potent anti-inflammatory compounds. They have shown a fascinating effect on improving survivability from pneumonia.

http://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20081028/statins-may-cut-death-risk-from-pneumonia

While hunting for the above link, I also noticed this recent one:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/03/19/statins-may-lower-pneumonia-risk/

• Violia
    Violia

statins have some serious health risks of their own. I will not use them for cholesterol lowering. I take a med called Zetia which works very well without the risks of statins.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/statin-side-effects/MY00205

the second link has some great links at end of article. worth checking out

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2011/01/wonder-drug-statins-may-be-dangerous/21418/

also, fish oil in higher doses is very effective in lowering Triglycerides. I was seeing a cardiologist and he recommend the liquid " Dr.Carlson's" . Also you can get a potent ( 1000 mg each gel cap) dose in prescription form called Lovaza or use the otc fish oil gel caps.

finally, a low dose natural form of a statin is Red Yeast Rice- said to have to benefits of a naturally occurring statin.

I recently was having what the doc called ocular migraines and he prescribed a baby aspirin a day for this. I am always surprised what aspirin can be used for.

I checked wiki and Tylenol first became available in USA in 1955 and in 1956 in UK as Panadol. It may have been expensive as I don't recall my mom having it around the house as a child .

My hubby had a heartache just over a year ago and has had to take all the meds that go with it, blood pressure,plavix, and statins. plavix is very expensive. We are getting it from the drug company right now but will probably have to use a out of USA pharmacy. His docs all say that is fine just make sure it is reputable.

anyone use or know of an online out of USA pharmacy that is reputable?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Hmmm. The otheer NSAIDs, though, are anti-inflammatory as well. Maybe they act on a different link in the cascade, which might explain the difference.

I was thinking that too BTS---but there does seem to be a difference in how they work. And I also am interested in how they work together. Excedrin Extra Strength and Excedrin Migraine (I believe they are the exact same formula, you can look it up and see) are a mix of Aspirin, Acetemetophen, and Caffiene. This was the only thing that helped my migraines--and I've used prescription. Tylenol alone was a joke. So I do think there is something to aspirin. I can't take Tylenol anymore--except on careful occasion---but I still don't get migraines and continue to take aspirin. I don't know. I just always found it interesting. I don't like to draw conclusions, or mix up causation etc---but it has peaked my curiosity.

NC

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

oops, checking pms now.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

BTS, you have a pm.

NC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit