What Draws People To The Witnesses? What Keeps Some Far Away??

by minimus 24 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

If you weren't raised in the religion, why did you get involved?

What issue(s) keep some from ever being attracted to the Witnesses?

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

The ability to critically think and my need to research anything for what it really is has kept me away. My wife on the other hand has been drawn in by the 'simplicity' of the way things are done.....do this, you get this and since she really struggles thinking for herself, she gets caught 'hook, line and sinker' (she was raised in a JW family but has never been dunked, she flirts with them A LOT)

• minimus
    minimus

interesting

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

I was born in, so no choice here.

My husband is a skeptic, I can speak for him as we have talked about this quite a bit. When I first "witnessed" to him, turns out, he get on the interenet and researched it. He saw it was a cult, and no way jose. He never pushed with me, but looking back, I do see things he did to try and help me wake myself up. Needless to say a lot of my "holy crap, I can't believe the WT did this or that" he already knew.

My mother, I am speculating on her reasons based on my own experiences with her. She was un-married, 3 kids and really didn't think she could do it alone. (she still doesn't trust that she can do anything alone, even tho she has.) But for her, it was probably a relief, this organizaiton came and took over her life. She didn't have to decide anything anymore, it was all decided for her. Anyway, again, speculation, but feels right if you know what I mean.

• minimus
    minimus

For many, it was the prospect of never dying and forever living in perfection. Now, most JWs believe they will die but also get a resurection in Paradise. That is not enough of a draw, in my opinion to join a religion.

• minimus
    minimus

If people are "weak", they are more inclined to get into this religion.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I was low hanging fruit.

Single mum with depression

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth
    If people are "weak", they are more inclined to get into this religion.

I fully agree!

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

"Weak" is not a nice word. I prefer vulnerable.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Weak and/or vulnerable, that's what bring em' in.

Also those with a some kind of mental illness, everyone I'm sure had a few of that kind in their KH I'm sure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit