Why fear Satan, if Jehovah is the one who will send Armageddon to annihilate you?

by dgp 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

As a JW kid, it was never Satan that was going to kill me if I couldn't pass muster, and I was never going to pass muster. I couldn't even read Genesis without having a crisis.

• dgp
    dgp

Transhuman68: I had never thought of serpents having to crawl only after the curse. You would wonder how "on Earth" they would move if you assume there were not "re-created" in a different shape.

Maybe Black Sheep's cartoon gives us the explanation? A serpent with legs, arms and the thorax and abdomen of a mammal?

• designs
    designs

'be afraid of the One who can destroy both body and soul in Hell' Matt.10:28

Lovely.

• mP
    mP

dgp

before one snake ran into eve and got punished they had wings. you might also know their original form as seraphim. given their role as messengers of god means they knew how to speak, which also explains why eve was not shocked and actually listened. the bible only says they were punished and forced to go on their bellies, it doesnt say anything about their speaking ability. funnily enuff, levi is supposed to come fom a root thast means wriggly one, as in snake. perhaps the levites were originally snakes before they settled in to their human frm.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Matthew 10:28 - "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell."

Jehovah is indeed the annihilator, not Satan. The Bible does teach that we fear him ultimately, not Satan.

• tec
    tec

Seraphim (serpent) = angel

Just because snake is the closest thing man understood from translation does not mean an actual snake. This is why sometimes the 'snake' deceives, and sometimes the snake is held in high regard (such as staring at the bronze snake in the desert with Moses if poisoned) Because angels are both 'good' and 'bad'.

Peace,

tammy

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Tammy - Most Christians view the Revelation to John as an imponderable hallucination. Some have even been unkind enough to suggest he was high on opium at the time.

I am curious as to why, of all the parts of the Bible that you say are not inspired, you have chosen to get your information about Armageddon from such a dubious source. Personally, I prefer to use a more reliable source.

Alice in Wonderland is my favourite.

• tec
    tec

I think most christians view revelations as symbolic and impossible to decipher... but not an hallucination. An inspired vision. Some might view it as such though, and no doubt anyone who does not believe would have to, or think it a lie or fabrication.

It is inspired. It is one of the few books that is inspired... as it is 'in spirit', and claims to be. Paul corroborates it as well. (I knew someone who was 'in spirit' and saw...)

I'm not entirely sure why I think so as well, Glad. I do see truth in it, as in corroborating with things that Christ taught and foretold. I understand some of the things written in it, I understand those things within me, so that helps as well.

Do I understand all the symbolism in that book? No. But some things are clear to me; perhaps because I still look to Christ first: that God protects those who belong to Him against those who come to make war against them, at Armageddon.

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

(never mind - I'll start a thread now)

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Thanks Tammy - I shall take a look at the new thread you have started.

Glad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit