Happiest sadness I've ever felt

by BreathoftheIndianNose 15 Replies latest jw friends

• BreathoftheIndianNose
    BreathoftheIndianNose

Wow, so far 4 out of 4 "worldly" people I've talked to about my situation, actually care. I mean Ive been telling myself that most people would care. But I can just tell, by the way I feel shocked and surprised at their genuine interest to listen and help, that subconsciously, I still feel like no worldly person cares. And now here I am, writing out my thoughts, putting myself at the whim of "worldly" people, no, putting myself at the whim of "apostates", even confiding in them. That is, confiding in you. Hmm, but i guess thats what i am now too, strange to think about. So here I am, introducing myself, with a joy and freeness of speech I have dreamed of for years. I have left after 23 years, and look forward to the rest of my life. But first, let me just give a brief introduction of who I am and where I'm at.

I, am a born-in. Although I would obviously wish for a bit of a different upbringing, I really can't complain, it was pretty great. I have great parents and great friends, well, had, or... well I still consider them my friends although they will not talk to me ever. I guess it's kind of subjective, but anyways. The first thing I can remember questioning with actual doubts, would have to be the Flood story. At around 9 years old, the logic seemed a bit flawed but I still went with it, obviously, everyone was telling me it was true. I can honestly say, though, that I stopped believing in the flood story at about 12 and haven't believed it since. But it's amazing what ignorance can do, so those thoughts got squashed, repressed and glazed over so that I came to the decision to get baptized at 15. Wow, what praise I got, you know what I'm talking about, everyone is so happy for you, "Good for you! You just made Jehovah, Jesus and the angels so happy. And Satan very angry. Remember this date, it's the most important date of your life!" Oops, I forgot it. I have an idea but can't remember exactly, o well. So anyways, I started pioneering, did it for 2 years, and had one call after about 2 years, that crushed my already feeble faith, and with that, I stepped down as a pioneer after a month or two of hard research. The research was to strengthen my faith, not weaken it. But it deffinatly weakened it. At 18, I faced a dilemma, leave or believe. I chickened out, and stayed, reading and studying with fear, ONLY things that would strengthen my faith, and it worked, well, kind of. Damn I worked hard, studying, reading, praying, striving for privileges within the cong. I aux pioneered for 7 months just to get back up to frame of mind and spiritual strength to pioneer. So finally, thankya Jesus, I was re-appointed as a reg pioneer. "You must be so happy!" people exclaimed. Surprisingly, I wasn't, not even the slightest. You see, all these doubts, and guilt derived from questioning things, managed to cultivate a nice little dose of depression and social anxiety. I had been feeling like s#@t for a couple of years and wanted help. Everyone i confided in told me not to go to a psychiatrist or therapist. Instead, if it was really bad, they said I should go to a doctor and ask for meds. Well, it was bad, and I went to a doctor, who told me to go to a therapist before I start taking meds. Well, what the hell? Who's advise do I take? Well being the rebellious guy I am, I went to a therapist. I know, quite the bad ass if I do say so myself. I didn't tell my therapist a thing about my real problems. That inner Watchtower firewall of mine was working hard, I didn't dare tell her about my all of my doubts and the tough situation I had been put in. O, did I mention that by this time I stepped down from being a reg pioneer again because of more strongly rooted doubts I was having? Well this time I knew the truth about "the Truth". To make a really long story short, because I'm lagging and ranting, I decided to move away to think freely without being forced to think a certain way. I worked like crazy, saved up money and moved to Guatemala, for now. If this sounds familiar, it's because I already made one post and decided to change my user name. Now I'm here, learning Spanish, living with a Mayan family who only speak Spanish and a Mayan language, meeting and hanging out with "worldly" people (little by little) and feeling the happiest sadness I've ever felt. I've sent in my letter to leave the WTS weeks ago and now I'm looking forward to the future with optimism. This site has helped me wonders and will continue to help me in the future, because it has been an aid to me, thanks to the members. I hope to return the favor as soon as possible with my own advise and support to others. Thanks for reading, despite the length.

• flipper
    flipper

BREATHOFTHEINDIANNOSE- Welcome to the board ! ( I like your user name by the way - pretty original ) . I was a born-in too and exited the JW's at age 44 finally in 2003. Having come from an active JW family myself I understand the challenge you faced in your decision to exit. Makes it somewhat tougher. I'm glad you are having peace in your life in Guatemala, that's awesome ! Good to hear you've established new aquaintances in your life, nice non-Witness people ! I wish the best for you . Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Welcome... again. Are you able to see a psychologist down there? I went through severe depression in the bOrg too, and have found it extremely helpful.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Hello and welcome.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Welcome BreathoftheIndianNose . . .

The depression / anxiety thing is not uncommon. If you've been lurking for a while you will probably know this. It's testament to what a tremendous strain waking up and exiting places on us. As time passes so will it's significance, be sure to stay healthy along the way. You write well and I look forward to your input.

Size

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Welcome to you, and well done....isn't it great to be free?

Loz x

• Ding
    Ding

Welcome!

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

Welcome...........again/back!! LOL

Thanks for sharing your story as well as your positive outlook for the future. I hope it goes well with you.

CoC

• TOTH
    TOTH

Welcome to the board! I hope you I'm happy for you!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

WELCOME !!

I empathise with your position and your feelings, I was born in, and in for decades , it is not easy to walk away and risk totally losing family and friends, your whole Contact Book in the dumpster.

Therapy is good, how good depends onthe expertise of the Therapist, they probably have little experience of our situation.

I have found that "worldy" people as the WT cult styles them, I prefer to say "Normal people", are pleasant, kind, honest, fun and very understanding and supportive, since leaving I have not had one negative experience with those I have befriended.

Without doubt there are some evil people out there, but my experience suggests that more prickly, maladjusted, difficult, unlovely people are to be found within the WT than in the world at large.

All the best for the future, I am sure a life of freedom is going to be one you enjoy more and more each day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit