Possibility of a Major Methane Release Triggered by Melting Arctic Ice Constitutes a "Planetary Emergency".

by sizemik 30 Replies latest social current

• Botzwana
    Botzwana

This is why Wifey and I decided to not have children. Among many reasons...hell in Mexico kids are wandering the streets. If we ever wanted one we just reach our hand outside and take a couple.

• Glander
    Glander

Seed the clouds with 'Beano'

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy
    In the long run, anything that will cause a large-scale "die-off" of the most populous and most polluting species on the planet, will be GOOD for the planet - and the species...

Very true! My Partner and I just discussed this yesterday. When it happens, the only thing that will be heard worldwide is the sound of Animals who will be breathing a huge sigh of relief. Even though we have made many strides and accomplishments for ourselves, we generally haven't given the Earth the respect that it deserves, and it will lead to our eventual downfall.

That's a very eye opening article, Sizmik. Thank you for posting it.

• Razziel
    Razziel

The sad thing, ohiocowboy, is that unless our end is too quick to react, I fear we would take the planet down kicking and screaming with us. There are several extreme measures we can take if our existence is at stake that might buy us another hundred years, but would eventually lead to mass extinctions of animal and plant life.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Viewed geologically - as long as something survives (be it a microbe or a cockroach) then a mass extinction caused by humans is no more harmful than a direct , large scale, asteroid hit - which statistically should happen regularly. Mankind however, has a fantastic trait of enlightened self interest and will work hard to adapt (rather than animals simply who move, evolve or die).

In short mankind is the best hope this planet has ever had of making it long term without an extinction event. We gravely underestimate our ability and just as Malthus predicted doom but was beaten by tech so will we beat and overcome the challenges that weather change will give (indeed a warmer planet may have some awesome benefits overall - certainly beats a global ice age in my book.)

• sizemik
    sizemik

@glenster ... thanks for the link. The voices are growing louder. Interesting quote from article . . .

"Science assessments indicate that human activities are moving several of Earth's sub-systems outside the range of natural variability typical for the previous 500,000 years," wrote the authors in the opening of "Navigating the Anthropocene: Improving Earth System Governance."

Here's another interesting article.

. . . "by conservative estimates, 9,000 species are going extinct each year, most of them from the rainforests."

. . . "we are presently experiencing the largest mass extinction since the demise of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago; only this time it’s occurring at a much faster rate."

@dozy ... LOL ... stay away from naked flames.

@@Knowsnothing ... no, not the end, just major changes.

@strymeckirules ... addiction to fossil fuel burning is a hard one to break. Shell is heading for the Arctic. Fracturing rigs are popping up like freakin mushrooms.

@Poztate ... seems like a band-aid on a hemorrhage. Going at the cause might be more productive.

@Low-Key Lysmith ... All heil St Paddy!

@Ziddina & Broken Promises ... agreed.

@Razziel ... existential threat? . . . hmmm. One man's floor is another man's ceiling I guess.

@Botzwana ... that's a courageous decision IMO. If I knew then what I know now . . .

@ohiocowboy ... you're welcome. Seems a lot more folks are daring to look over the other side of the mountain. It can be daunting, but from the courage to do so, comes the motivation for change.

@Razziel ... mass extinctions are already unavoidable IMO. Human impact goes beyond climate change. Major species losses are already ocurring. Marine ecosysystems are being hammered like never before. A periodic absence of arctic ice has obvious and dire implications for an entire and large ecosystem. One estimate says we have increased extinction rates by 10,000% since 1900.

@Qcmbr ... I agree with what you say but with less optimism. Humankind will likely come through the future crisis . . . hopefully better for it in a few centuries from now. This will not be without a major attrition IMO. Tech has helped create the very problems we seek to mitigate. As Einstein once said; It's like an "axe in the hands of a madman." I no longer have the faith in science as our saviour I once had . . . not in the immediate context.

What we sometimes see as a future possibility is in reality our present. I don't believe in the "end of the world" or some doomsday event . . . but I do believe we're heading for change . . . massive change. The next 2-3 decades will see things deteriorate markedly. If you aren't prepared for it it'll hit you like a train.

Thanks for your comments.

• Glander
    Glander

This entire thread is a crock of horseshit. Didn't you guys get your fill in the JW cult?

Never mind, have your wallow in "oooo, scary!" and then get up in the mrning, eat your oatmeal (hopefully with pleanty of stewed prunes) and go your diverse ways. See you tomorrow.

• Night Owl
    Night Owl

Blah, blah, blah.

NightOwl

• Night Owl
    Night Owl

As long as they can keep finding ways to tax your ass out of the universe, they will make this crap up. The only increase in methane is coming out of the researchers asses.

NightOwl

• sizemik
    sizemik

Hmmm . . . When you don't touch a mind you touch a nerve LOL.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit