ORGANIC writing..............................................Try it

by Terry 19 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

That was great Nancy Drew! I'm too much of a scaredy cat.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Is this like Yeats-style automatic poetry?

I remember an elder gave me into trouble for trying that!

Because of the demunz.

• Terry
    Terry

Is this like Yeats-style automatic poetry?

Well, in Art Class one day my teacher told everybody: Art is NOT about "getting it right". Art is about your personal point of view hidden even to yourself that can only emerge through "doing".

Freeing that part of yourself takes some real effort in most of us.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Thaks for the comment about nanowrimo JeffT, been looking at it and think i may give it a go!

• Terry
    Terry

Nanowrimo is perfect for the "Organic" approach. You can always go back and edit, edit, edit and rewrite the good ideas when you've finished.

• I Want to Believe
    I Want to Believe

So I sat here waiting for inspiration to hit. What was taking so long? Where was my demon to guide me in automatic writing?

"Here I am," Dave popped into my head suddenly. He was my demon. I found him in a toy I bought at a pawn shop when I was 13. It was a cool toy, a Star Wars action figure, bounty hunter of some sort. Next thing I knew, a demon was living inside me.

"Where were you?" I was upset and wanted him to know it. "It's hard to write freestyle without a demonic force guiding me."

"Yeah, well you keep your mind too cluttered these days. It's hard to get around in there. You should try emptying it out sometime. You ever think of trying some meditation? OOOH, how about yoga?"

I couldn't help but laugh.

"What's so funny?"

"Nothing. Maybe I should try yoga; maybe I could get a demon that's more helpful. Why couldn't you give me the powers of prediction instead of this automatic writing nonsense?"

I could feel Dave's hurt feelings. He took control of my fingers and started typing out a random hateful screed, which somehow morphed into a longform poem about flowers. My fingers stopped.

"My heart's not in it today," he said. He was quiet for a while. "Did you know today is my anniversary?"

I shook my head.

"Yeah... 4400 years this afternoon. I often ask myself if she was worth it. She died before the Flood, did I ever tell you that? We never had any kids. But that was it -- never saw Heaven again. Never wanted to. How could I ever see His face again? I mean, what did He expect? And than Azazel turned out to be a huge d***"

"Maybe it's time you finally told your side of the story. All of it." I put my fingers back over the keyboard.

Dave let off a smile. My fingers danced like never before, and I felt us both moving toward a resolution, at last.

• dm6
    dm6

The darkness creeps over the surface and it was a misty red.

It hauls itself over me and kept smiling that damned smile.

Whispers of hell force me to bang my head against the wall vigourously.

Fear dread and panic waves over him,millions beheading.

Liquid red drains down the alleyway, with rotting corpses.

Electric explosions of brainwaves and he has reached enlightenment.

I gaze over at the horizon and realize i am the misty red.

I see all of the sheep ready for the taking.

My muscles make me a thousand promises of pain.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

It was one of those spring days when everybody was in the mood for something and Howie said "man I wish i was in the mountains right now" with a look of disappointment on his face. Sharon looked him straight in the eyes and said "I wish I was at the beach". Terry and Denise shook their heads and told a story about the great vacation they took several years ago in Las Vegas and how they stuffed themselves at all the buffets. As the afternoon went on they reminisced about good times gone by and after everyone went home they turned on the television and watched the travel channel all evening.

• Terry
    Terry

Now we've got the good juices flowing.

See how the kernal of a great writing idea pops into what you write?

Then, you get the murky clutter surrounding the idea cleared away and you have another go...and another.

Sit back---read it----see what part YOU respond to. What is that one essential idea?

The rest is actually technique. You can't fake that part:)

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

Everyone got to feeling real natural and organic so no one could have predicted what was about to happen. It started kind of slow but then it really got going and eventually it went out of control. This fellow who I think works at a weirdo bookstore was the one who first got the idea and of course people like that always have ideas. He told us to just shed everything and you know try it be natural and let it flow. Well everyone began discarding whatever they felt was holding them back and he said don't worry about it's all just about technique.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit