• cantleave
    cantleave

Nice

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

That is AMAZING!!!

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

When I got my first full time job I worked with a young man who was similar to me, he liked art. He introduced me to Bernini, Michelangelo, Caravaggio, Burne Hogarth, and M C Escher other artists and art works I had never really heard of and the how fantastic they were.

I liked Roger Dean and Walt Disney and the Warner Brothers Cartoons and the illustrations of Alfred Bestall and Norman Rockwell. and He also told me about the Sistine Chapel, something I had no knowlege of really. Sometime I hope to see the Sistine Chapel.

• neverscreamagain
    neverscreamagain

Ucantnome: Thanks for posting this. Never been their in person, Putting that on my list of places to see. WOW!

On a side note: What rational person could really believe that God could and will destroy, level to the ground, such awe-inspiring artwork?

Further, these were creative works that in their most basic form was made to bring honor to him? Doesn't make sense.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

WOW! yes i agree. Bernini blew my socks off.

• dgp
    dgp

Very good one.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Sure beats our quick build.

George

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I cried when I saw it. What triggered me was the majesty of the chapel ceiling. I looked at the Last Judgment straight ahead. There is a self portrait of Michelangelo. It is just flayed, skin. The contrast between the ceiling and his self image was so steep. An interesting fact is that Michelanagelo had many arguments with the pope and powerful cardinals. Besides placing himself at the Last Judgment, he places portraits of the cardinals he hated as demons or in hell. He had chutzpah or the Renaissance term for chutzpah.

His statutes take your breath away. Besides Moses and the Pieta, I saw some in either Rome or Florence that are called "slaves." The remain partially uncarved. The sections he carved are so vibrant and full of life. The uncarved area is cold stone. You feel the carved part can away from the stone part. It can't. Very moving. I doubt he intended the effect.

I studied art history in college. It was tedious at first b/c I knew nothing. B/c I so wanted to see what art lovers see, I kept taking courses, attending gallery talks and paying to see exhibition block busters. The NYC private schools go through. They had the best teachers. If you keep at it, it becomes great fun. When I started, I like pretty paintings such as the Impressionists and landscapes by Turner and Constable. The Hudson River School and Winslow Homer were favorite. I could not stand modern art. Now I get it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit