Moroccan girl commits suicide after being forced to marry her rapist

by Diest 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Diest
    Diest

After Reading this article it just reminded me that Koran and Bible are completely backward. The justification for this forced marriage is found in Deuteronomy 22:23-24: '

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

By Al Arabyia

A 16-year-old Moroccan girl has committed suicide after a judge ordered her to marry her rapist, according to Moroccan media reports.

Last year Amina’s parents filed charges against their daughter’s rapist, a man 10 years older than her but it was only recently that a judge in the northern city of Tangier decided that instead of punishing him, the two must be married.

The court’s decision to forcibly marry Amina to her rapist was supposed to “resolve” the damage of sexual violation against her, but it led to more suffering in the unwelcoming home of her rapist/husband’s family.

Traumatized by the painful experience of rape, Amina decided to end her life by consuming rat poison in the house of her husband’s family, according to the Moroccan daily al-Massae.

According to the newspaper, this type of forced marriage is rooted in local rural traditions to safeguard the honor of girls who are raped.

Moroccan penal code exempts a rapist from punishment if he agrees to marry his victim.

Feminists have long demanded an amendment to this article.

Hafida Elbaz, director of the Women’s Solidarity Association told a-Massae that the article provides an opportunity for a perpetrator to avoid punishment.

The story has widely spread on Twitter and on Facebook with many in Morocco demanding action against the judge who issued the ruling.

http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/03/14/200577.html

• smiddy
    smiddy

Words fail me...something that was spoken,... and written down.... about 4000 years ago ? is used in this 21st century to the detriment of women ? and absolving any wrongdoing by males ? What does that say about the author the , lawgiver of this law?.

smiddy

• mP
    mP

its a good thing jesus said moses law was a fraud, and that god never spoke to him.

• Caedes
    Caedes
    its a good thing jesus said moses law was a fraud, and that god never spoke to him.

Could you tell me where that is said?

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

The God of Abraman is a nutjob. And, many of those that follow Him are also nuts. The nuts dont fall far from the tree, and the new trees don't grow far from the nuts.

Skeeter

• varian
    varian

"...rooted in local rural traditions..."

to be more precise: it´s based on mohammed - the best example for all muslims. the pedophile prophet, who raped and married an 8 year old.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I have often brought out the cruelty of the bible forcing women to marry their rapists. I am usually met by people who defend the brutality of that god by them saying well---the times---the culture----a PROTECTION for her---

Most would cringe at this story----and yet still defend the practice in ancient jewish times.

So at least some people are still living by the most inhumane laws in that old piece of garbage----it makes me incredibly angry.

NC

• Twitch
    Twitch

FUBAR

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Welcome to Rick Santorum's America:

Santorum to Rape Survivors: "Make the Best of Bad Situation"

Presidential hopeful Rick Santorum wants every rape survivor to know that he feels their pain.

No, wait...he doesn't feel their pain in fact he would like any rape survivor who has the unfortunate luck of becoming impregnated as a result to "make the best of a bad situation." That means that women who are raped and get pregnant with the rapists' baby are then simply supposed to straighten up and have that baby.

Make lemonade!

http://loop21.com/rick-santorum-rape-survivors-give-birth

• tiki
    tiki

so sad that so many women have been so mistreated and abused throughout the centuries...and it is downright scary that these ultra-right fundamentalists are trying to dredge up a patriarchal society that is so destructive.......the moroccan girl's story is just so awful, but just think of how many women have been treated so cruelly and horridly throughout history and still are in islamic countries.......why does that #@%)*@) want to bring that sort of thing back to an enlightened nation such as ours?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit