Steven Unthanks case . . . this might help fill some gaps.

by sizemik 36 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• sizemik
    sizemik

I was alerted to Steven Unthanks latest feature article on jwnews.net . . .

It was posted just a few days ago (11th) and explains a number of things some have puzzled over with regard to Australian law, and why things unfolded as they did.

It includes a report compiled by an ex-jw who attended the hearings.

For those that took an interest in the case . . . it might fill in some gaps for you.

It's on the home page and entitled . . . "Criminal Prosecution of the Christian Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses"

Edit to add: . . . here's an uncomfortable little moment to ponder . . . from the report;

During the court hearing on October 11, legal counsel for the Watchtower Society, Rachel van Witsen, from Vincent Toole Solicitors (the Watchtower Society’s in-house law firm located inside Bethel, Australia) made a statement on behalf of the Watchtower Society that:-

“The faithful and discreet slave is not a legal entity.”

Vincent Toole Solicitors then went on to present arguments that the “faithful and discreet slave” do not exist as a “person” nor do they exist as an “unincorporated body” and nor do they exist as a “body” of Christians.

Literally Vincent Toole Solicitors were arguing that the “faithful and discreet slave” should be struck off the charge list because they simply do not exist. In one broad sweeping statement the Watchtower Society and their in-house legal team completely destroyed the entire fabric and structure of the faith of some 7 million Jehovah’s Witnesses. What next happened goes beyond the wildest imaginings that any Jehovah’s Witness could ever believe was possible.

Steven Unthank stood up, looked around the courtroom, and then actually defended the “faithful and discreet slave” and the beliefs and doctrinal teachings of Jehovah’s Witnesses. No one else came to the defense of the “faithful and discreet slave”. Steven Unthank, as the current acting prosecutor, was the only person who defended them. Unthank then presented argument that the “faithful and discreet slave” was real and was that body of Jehovah’s Witness Christians that had religious responsibility over the entire Christian congregation.

The Watchtower Society and Vincent Toole Solicitors then presented rebuttal argument that the “faithful and discreet slave” did not exist but were nothing more than a:-

“theological arrangement”

A massive gasp could be heard emanating from the gallery from amongst a group of Jehovah’s Witnesses who had attended to watch the hearing. It is worth noting that Jehovah’s Witnesses are taught that to deny the “faithful and discreet slave” is to deny the Christ and that those who deny the Christ are the antichrist.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Marking...

Thanks, Sizemik!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I think that was posted earlier, I remember reading something to that affect. Was this expounded on further?

• sizemik
    sizemik

You're right wha . . . mention of it had been made by Steven Unthank around the time. The above is an excerpt from an anonymous attendees report which has been published on the jwnews.net site. It is a little more comprehensive, being the personal observations of a non-participant attending the hearings.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

it still is a what the f&*k moment when I read it. It's lines like that, which unfortunately will never be heard by the people that need to hear it the most

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

They are prepared to lie, not just weasel words, but outright lie to the Court.

It would be good if Blondie or someone with access to WT lit. could come up with a quote where the WT refers to the FDS or Anointed as a "Body", better still body of christians, but just one body will establish the crime,as in the best detective fiction.

The crime would then be perjury on the part of Ms Van Witsen, as she must know the WT teaching.

• talesin
    talesin

Tx, Size. I musta missed that; haven't been around much to see all updates.

tal

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Thanks Sizemik.

Bangalore

• zeb
    zeb

Lawyers... Is it true that 9/10 lawyers give the other one a bad name?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Many people here are upset about the developments. I have a strong opinion that Unthank succeeded. Once the WT complied with the law, there was no remedy a court could give. The case became moot. The wider picture shows that a single person forced the org into submission. He also is responsible for the admission tha the faithful and discreet slave is only a construct. It has no meaning in the real world. This was a damning accusation for them. It was a David and Goliath battle and David won.

Courts routinely refuse to hear cases that are not active. The harm was not ongoing b/c they complied. I would rather have compliance than a court order. No court can direct internal church disputes.

Unthank was very successful in concrete ways in the real world. The prosecutors refusing to go forward acknowledged his success.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit