Godwin's Law of JWN---Need help naming it!

by NewChapter 44 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

First, a definition of Godwin's Law:

Godwin's law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies or Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies [1] [2] ) is a humorous observation made by Mike Godwin in 1990 [2] that has become an Internet adage. It states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1." [2] [3] In other words, Godwin observed that, given enough time, in any online discussion—regardless of topic or scope—someone inevitably criticizes some point made in the discussion by comparing it to beliefs held by Hitler and the Nazis

Now to the point. This is not my original idea--Cofty gets credit.

We have all noticed on JWN, that given enough time, a discussion often ends up with one poster accusing other posters of still thinking like JW's. Disagree in politics? That's because ONE of you still thinks like a JW. Disagree in religion? We SOMEBODY is still thinking like a JW.

I have always found this accusation offensive, considering the forum and the fact that all of us here have to some degree broken away from the cult. And yet the accusation continues to fly. Cofty mentioned on another thread that we should come up with a name for it. I thought that was a great idea---if for any other reason---to save me a lengthy post criticizing the accusation. So we need a name.

Any suggestions?

I would simply call it Cofty's Law---since he brought it up.

NC

• Twitch
    Twitch

With all due respect to Cofty, I noticed that OnTheWayOut has also mentioned this. Perhaps credit is due to both...

• Twitch
    Twitch

With all due respect to Cofty, I noticed that OnTheWayOut has also mentioned this. Perhaps credit is due to both...

• Razziel
    Razziel

Acronym: Circular Or Fallacious Thinking. Usage: Your argument is COFTY.

• Razziel
    Razziel

Oh NewChapter,you know who else besides you liked to make laws? (And make people wear flair?) The Nazis!

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

How about "Cofty's Cop-Out Law" Cop Out, is in the name, since name calling is always a cop-out. Out for "On the way out?"

(But, that sounds like our other poster - Outlaw)

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "Acronym: Circular Or Fallacious Thinking. Usage: Your argument is COFTY...." Razziel

Wait just a doggone minute there!!!

That sounds too much like "Cofty's thinking is 'circular or fallacious'..."!!

How about something like, "Cofty/OTWO's Law Disproving Invisible Unicorns" -

or "Cofty/OTWO's Law of Eventual Accusation of Lingering Cult Mentality"...

• ziddina
    ziddina

"CoftyOUT's Law of EALCM"...

• ziddina
    ziddina

CofOWT's Law of SLALOM!!!

Or CofOWT's Law of "Baloney"!!!

Yeah, I know - I'm really reaching, here...

• cofty
    cofty

It needs a recognisable name so it can be called-out when it happens.

How about hijacking a "theocratic" word?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit