Is there ANY JW belief/doctrine that has remained the same from start to now?

by journey-on 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• maksym
    maksym

A bigger question that is a bit off topic on this thread; Is there ANY teaching of the Jehovah's Witnesses that is in line with mainstream Christianity?

I can't seem to remember if there is not even one. If you take the Catholic or Orthodox Churches, for example, I have found them to be in a dicatomous relationship in almost everything.

You might as well call Jehovah's Witnesses Acatholics or Achristians; meaning opposed to.

Peace

Maksym

• 00DAD
    00DAD

So we've got only two beliefs that have remained from Russell's time until now:

1. Soul Sleep, taken from the Second Adventists, which has two sub-beliefs:

• No Hell
    • No Immortality of the Soul

2. Gentile Times ended in 1914 which came from:

• an idea advanced by John Aquila Brown in 1823
    • expanded upon in the 1830's by a farmer named William Miller
    • later tweaked by Apollos Hale and Sylvester Bliss, whoever they were
    • exposed as false in 1840 by John Dowling, whoever he was
    • reworked by Second Adventists, such as Barbour after 1844
    • then finally take over by Charles Taze Russell as an end time prophecy, with the Gentile times expected to herald the conclusion of Armageddon, not the beginning of the Last Days.

So practically EVERYTHING taught in Russell's time has been since discarded except two basic beliefs, one of which he got from another religion and the other conceived of and then twisted and mangled by a bunch of crackpots all vying for one-upsmanship to prove their personal understanding of the incontrovertible Word of God!

Must be holy spirit, excuse me: Holy Spirit!!!

Of the two beliefs, the evidence is clear that the second is false and the first is, from our perspective as living human beings, completely unverifiable either way.

Nice. Definitely got the fingerprints of God all over this one!

• Fencing
    Fencing

And I would argue that 1914 shouldn't really be included on that list. What Russell and the early Bible Students believed about 1914 is completely different from what Witnesses believe today. In fact, the only thing about 1914 that stayed the same was calling it "The End of the Gentile Times", but what that meant to Russell wouldn't even be recognized by a modern JW.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Good point, Fencing! (Pun intended!!!)

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

In answer to the thread title.

NO !

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho
    Jesus is Michael the archangel. One thing they got right.

but that's you though isn't it Lars? no, we all know OBVES is the real 2nd coming of Christ

• Mary
    Mary

That Jehover lives in the Dagobah System.........

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Mary, I believe you meant the Pleiades.

The constellation of the seven stars forming the Pleiades appears to be the crowning center around which the known systems of the planets revolve even as our sun's planets obey the sun and travel in their respective orbits. It has been suggested, and with much weight, that one of the stars of that group is the dwelling-place of Jehovah and the place of the highest heavens; ... - Reconciliation 1928 p14

• agonus
    agonus

Jehovah will destroy the rebellious planet of Alderaan soon.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Bumpin' it for the newbies!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit