What's the difference?

by Chariklo 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Can anyone explain to me the difference between the WT's doctrine of "new light! and the Catholic Church's idea of continuous revelation of the Holy Spirit?

Leaving aside for the moment any questions of the spirit as God's active force, or the Holy Spirit as third person of the Trinity, I mean. I'm interested to know if there is really any difference in the two understandings of continuing divine input in the realm of teachings/doctrine.

I believe I understand both concepts and for the life of me I really can't see any difference, in essence. Not in the particular revelations, obviously. Just the concept that God in some way sends continual updates to the message he wants to give us.

Or, another interpretation, that both religious groups have developed a cunning plan to keep the faithful ever on their toes and eager for more, so that ultimately they'll accept anything.

Oops, cynical old me.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I think you'll find a doctrine of 'progressive revelation' in most cults.

It is usually included in lists of identifying characteristics of high control groups.

• glenster
  • ssn587
    ssn587

It's all about trying to project something that really isn't happening, so that they can control you. The only spirit governing them is the spirit of how can we control the masses more and astound them with our insight/lies. New light by the Gb is like adding a more powerful light in your living room and rinding instead that you are in the bathroom or the garage, just a bunch of Bs on their part.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I see no difference at all.....they try to cover themselves by saying their imperfect yet "speak for Jehovah."

• rebel8
    rebel8

One major difference is speed.

The RC has infrequent new light. First they vaguely suggest something, it's controversial with traditionalists, they back off, lather rinse repeat until it becomes a new belief. Could take decades or centuries. This keeps followers bored and they lose interest.

The wt's new light moves at the speed of light. They just put it out and everyone's thrilled (or in the case of negative past teachings, they just pretend it's always been the new way). This keeps followers in a constant state of anticipation, and keeps them interested.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The R.C Church seems to allow that later Revelation occurs, so a new doctrine not found expressly in Scripture is revealed to the Church and is incorporated in the body of belief, as happened with the Trnity for example.

The WT likes to pretend that their New Light is a "refined" or new understanding of what is in scripture, they hate to be accused of going beyond what is written.

Of course this is total nonsense,as none of their unique doctrines have any basis in scripture. In reality they pull the ideas out of their asses and call it New Light.

The ironic thing is that the newer RC doctrines, for which there is no need to show specific biblical support , are easier to defend using the Bible than the unique doctrines of the JW/WT religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit