AJWRB Launches A Blog

by Bangalore 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Bangalore
  • Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Thanks for sharing the link - I'm not totally ready for activism yet, but maybe soon one day. So true, talkie talkie is cheap, so is writie writie - it's actions that count and I'm still gathering the courage...but will revisit the blog as I have the chance and will do what I can to point out the WT's contradictory stance on an individual basis which I am already doing with a dear friend facing imminent surgery (one on one).

Thanks for posting.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

So true, talkie talkie is cheap, so is writie writie - it's actions that count and I'm still gathering the courage...

Meeting Junkie No More,

Talking and writing are actions. The written word is one of the most powerful—if not the most powerful—instruments in the history of human development. Today this remains the case.

I think the language usage you echo is unfortunate. Undoubtedly the author must understand the power of written work. Perhaps the unstated message is that face-to-face contact is a means of moving a message along that goes beyond the power of the written word.

We see this in the Arab Spring. The whole thing was started with the power of written communication. But ultimately it took face-to-face encounter to uproot ruthless regimes. But in the aftermath lay the problem of “What do we do now?” That is something that will be settled with the power of the written word and secret balloting.

In the case of a religious position like Watchtower’s blood doctrine we have a wrestling with an ism. Isms are difficult to confront face-to-face because isms are not people but, rather, ideas/philosophies. Also, people tend to take their isms based on trust in a religious authority/mentor and it may or may not have a basis in fact.

That said, there is a place for face-to-face education and for those in a position to offer it they should. I have done quite a bit of this myself at professional events and in consult with various personnel serving the medical industry. Each one does what they can when they can. If you can write then write. If you are fluent in the industry language and understand the subject then perhaps you can both write and consult, when available and circumstance permits.

It would, however, be a big mistake to underestimate the power of the written word. Developed societies thrive on it, and developing societies will grow by means of it. When we are unavailable for consult the written word will remain. Its affect is like ever-flowing water over the hardest of rock.

Marvin Shilmer

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com

• rebel8
    rebel8

I do activism. For example, I periodically mail AJWRB's physician brochure to surgeons and anesthesiologists. I've also told my one-of-a-kind jw blood story--it was very painful to do but I felt it might prevent an innocent person from becoming involved with the deadly cult in the first place. I also wrote articles for AJWRB's old website.

#2 suggested activity Not sure AJWRB realizes this? The Red Cross is primarily responsible for the hemophilia holocaust. Dead friends & relatives. No apology, no reparations, just swept it under the carpet and hoped everyone forgets. They are much worse than wts ever could be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit