Biggest Mathematical Miracle in the World

by Moxy 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Moxy
    Moxy

oh lordy. i dont usually post these messages i get from JW mailing lists. but this one is pretty hilarious:

This would be good for use in a talk.

Roland

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Biggest Mathematical Miracle in the World

Moses and his people were in the desert, but what was he going to do with them? They had to be fed, and fed is what he did, according to the Quartermaster General in the Army.

It is reported that Moses would have to have had 1500 tons of food each day. Do you know that to bring that much food each day, two freight trains, each a mile long, would be required!

Besides you must remember, they were out in the desert, so they would have to have firewood to use in cooking the food. This would take 4000 tons of wood and a few more freight trains, each a mile long just for one day.

And just think, they were forty years in transit.

And oh yes! They would have to have water. If they only had enough to drink and wash a few dishes, it would take 11,000,000 gallons each day, and a freight train with tank cars, 1800 miles long, just to bring water!

And then another thing! They had to get across the Red Sea at night.

Now if they went on a narrow path, double file, the line would be 800 miles long and would require 35 days and nights to get through. So, there had to be a space in the Red Sea, 3 miles wide so that they could walk 5000 abreast to get over in one night.

But then, there is another problem.

Each time they camped at the end of the day, a campground two-thirds the size of the state of Rhode Island was required, or a total of 750 square miles long...think of it! This space just for nightly camping.

Do you think Moses figured all this out before he left Egypt? I think not! You see, Moses believed in Jehovah. Jehovah took care of these things for him.

Now do you think Jehovah has any problem taking care of all your needs?

now do you think all those tons of food and square miles of occupation left a single trace in the archeological record? i think someone having doubts reading this email would have their exit process accelerated!

mox

• think41self
    think41self

Hehehe,

Thanks for sharing it Moxy! I guess the intended reaction from that was supposed to be awe at the power of Jehovah to provide these things miraculously to those people. Instead, the reaction is: How ridiculous that I once believed such BS without ever giving a thought to the practicality and reality of it. And since God hasn't been around in a few milennia to prove he's out there doing these things...why should I believe it?

think41self

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself!

• edster
    edster

What about the toilet facilities? You would need a lot of shovels.
    Logistical mayhem.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

LOLOLOLOL

Replace this line:

Now do you think Jehovah has any problem taking care of all your needs?
    with:

Now do you think the bible is a feasible and factual record?
    and you've got an e-mail worth forwarding!

Expatbrit

• JanH
    JanH

Moxy,

Thanks for posting. I don't know if the figures there are correct, but they seem to be in the correct order of magnitude. The insane population figures in the OT is another argument against Bible accuracy. At one point, we see a fielded army of a million man, something that was impossible until the invention of the railroad.

Even a few thousand people wandering the desert for 40 years without leaving any traces for us to find is infeasible at best. The exodus story is a myth. The Israelites no doubt received impulses from Egypt, but they were Palestinians from the start.

- Jan
    --
    - "How do you write women so well?" - "I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability." (Jack Nicholson in "As Good as it Gets")

• Moxy
    Moxy

looking around a bit now, i see this is actually an old piece of christian inspirational prose of uncertain origin. the word 'God' has been replaced of course by 'Jehovah' in this version.

mox

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

It's amazing that people actually believe this stuff.

Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• TD
    TD
    It is reported that Moses would have to have had 1500 tons of food each day. Do you know that to bring that much food each day, two freight trains, each a mile long, would be required!

Two miles of train to carry 1500 tons? Perhaps if they were loaded with feathers.... Certainly not a dense cargo like grain.

The current railcar GRL in America is 286,000 lbs. 50 foot box cars typically are rated at 70 and 100 tons each. With a conservative 40 average tons of cargo per car, we are looking at around 38 cars to carry 1500 tons.

They would have to have water. If they only had enough to drink and wash a few dishes, it would take 11,000,000 gallons each day, and a freight train with tank cars, 1800 miles long, just to bring water!

60 foot tank cars have a nominal gross water capacity of up to 25,760 US gallons each.

11,000,000 of water would require a whopping 425+ cars, which would be about 5 miles worth of trains. --Hardly the fantastic 1800 miles that is claimed.

Tom

--

• Dutchy
    Dutchy

I enjoyed your post and know that there are many other accounts in the Bible that defy reason. Yet many people cling to a belief in the Bible and many others take what the Bible says literally. It makes you wonder since I believe that we as humans have an inate need to worship a diety. There's an old saying that says that in times of hardship even the agnostic cries out to a god.

• detective
    detective

Dutchy, I think that would have to read "... even the ATHEIST cries out to a god."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit