Songs you Hid From Jehovah as a Teen

by charlie brown jr. 47 Replies latest social entertainment

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

I mentioned before I used lines from NIN Terrible Lie On a Bible Reading.............

Ohh the Looks of those who REALLY Knew me................

OH MY GOD WHERE IS HE GOING WITH THIS??????? Looks LOL!

But I was Nice................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qf_Bw4kAZo

I read the 1st Verse as the opening of Tonights Bible Reading............

hey God
    why are you doing this to me?
    am i not living up to what i'm supposed to be?
    why am i seething with this animosity?
    hey God
    i think you owe me a great big apology

• charlie brown jr.
  • charlie brown jr.
  • runesandmen
    runesandmen

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cixczzF0A1

I had a huge binder full of metal, punk and other music my JW friends were scared of. This is the song I got busted listening to.

OK, I have to give the WTBTS credit for turning me on to the Sex Pistols. In the 1970s, when the Sex Pistols first became a big deal, the WTBTS got wind of them, and there was a "news" item in either the WT or the Awake discussing the horrible new phenomenon of punk rock. Singing about love like the hippies did was bad enough, but this new music trend sang about hate! Our congregation then had a special meeting on the subject, and a filmstrip with pictures of the Sex Pistols was shown.

I had the Sex Pistols "Never Mind the Bullocks, Here's the Sex Pistols" album the next day after that meeting. I went with my "worldy" friends to a record store and purchased it, and of course, hid it from my parents. I loved punk rock, the rebellious lyrics and angry tempo were very attractive to me at the time. I was a pissed off guy who had just experienced the 1975 farce and hated every minute of my time at the kingdom hall. It was a scary thing for me to stand up to my parents, and this god dang crazy music helped. For these reasons, the Sex Pistols will always be one of my favorite bands of all time!

Here's a classic from the Sex Pistols:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GB1Uu5eBI4

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Like others here everything NIN, many metal bands too many to name, and recently this beautiful song from this band Brand New which was the spark that got me thinking about everything more deeply before I decided to leave JWs. This is really a fantastic song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilo9dTelB8w

If any JW kids had AC/DC or KISS albums, they had to hide them. At our congregation, we were told that "AC/DC" and "KISS" were acronyms for "anti-christ devil's children" and "knights in Satan's service," respectively.

• James Brown
    James Brown

There was a group that I really liked when I was young, Blue Oyster Cult.

I would collect all their albums and then destroy all of their albums several times until I got the

wicked, corrupt watchtower thinking out of my head.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit