Is Biblical Morality Situational, Based Upon the Arbitrary Whims of Yahweh?

by leavingwt 268 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

i understand the bible just fine, i refer to scriptures all the time. you point to scriptures that in no way back your arguments. terms like other sheep etc can be twisted to mean anything. the texts you provide in no way are obvious they are filled with allegory, symbolism and confusion. many religions use those texcts and tell completely different interpretations.

Um... I don't recall mentioning other sheep anywhere in this thread. I'll go back and check to be sure though. Perhaps you recall where I would have brought up that term?

lastly i dont blame the jews of today fgor anything. we are all individuals who are only responsible fgor our own actions. to blame anyone for something an ancestor did many hundreds or thousands of years ago, is absurd and stupid. such mindset is outdated.

Okay... I don't blame them for anything either. I don't recall saying that you did blame them for something. Only that in your post you said that they were all arrogant back then. But I don't know if those were your words, or the words of a site you copy/pasted?

i know and accept that god made a covenant with abraham. the question is why. you answered faith. i then presented the case of abraham pimping sarah twice, the pharaohh and abimilech because he was scared or unable to call jehovah. there is no example of faith by abraham anywhere in the ot. you are just making that up or assuming. the bible said david was righteous and he was a homocidal maniac, that word doesnt mean faith.

Faith of Abraham:

Genesis 12: 1-4 The LORD has said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you. I will make you intoa great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and however curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you." So Abram left, as the LORD had told him.

Genesis 15: 6 Abram believed the LORD, and he credited it to him as righteousness.

Romans 4:13 -16 It was not through law that Abraham and his offspring recieved the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith. For if those who love by law are heirs, faith has no value and the promise is worthless, because law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression. Therefore, the promise comes by faith, so that it may be by grace and may be guaranteed to all Abraham's offspring - not only to those who are of the law but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham.

There is nothing to support that God was racist, and Christ as well. But there are a lot of scriptures to support that that Christ came in fulfillment of the promise. Be that because of faith (as shown above, and believed by Paul); or because of righteousness (which came from showing faith), or from obedience. It was a covenant and a promise to a man and his descendants based on these things.

i have already established jesus was racist,

You have not even come close to establishing any such thing. You have not even attempted to answer the questions that I asked you. Could you answer those for me please?

you keep telling me about the new covenant.

I do? I think I keep trying to get you to answer the questions I have asked you regarding racism.

you have not acknmowledged jesus was prejudiced and racist on several occassions as demonstrated by several scriptures.

You listed one scripture that you THINK shows racism... I have shown why scripture shows something else. Unless you're willing to discuss it further by answering the questions that I asked you...?

he was a jew, they were arrogant ppl back then tyo say the least. josephus tells they refused to eat, etc with gentiles.

Oh some of them might have thought that they were better than the people around them... but Christ did not act on racism. Rather on a covenant established between God and Abraham, and again between God and Israel. Another point I would like your opinion on, is why Christ said to go and preach to all the earth? Was that just to state "Nanananana, Jews rule, gentiles drool?" Or was it to invite them in. Just as in revelations, where it says, "After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language..."

Just as he says at the end of Luke, "This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on tehe third day, and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning with Jerusalem."

lastly you have failed to show where the new cvovenant is established in the bhible, in black n white.

Why are you continuing on about a new covenant? This is about racism, which is not present. In any case, perhaps the above verses will show you where others have been invited IN to the Kingdom, based on their faith in Christ.

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Okay, read through it all to be sure... but I never did once use the term other sheep, and never even brought up 'new covenant' so I don't know how that got entered into this to begin with.

peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking
    Do you want the scripture that shows the covenant being drawn between Abraham and God, based on his faith

And here lies the crux of the matter. You are happy to use this scripture to 'prove' your point. Therefore assuming that this IS scripture. However, you are also happy to say that not all of the bible is scripture. You can't really have it both ways. Quoting scripture means NOTHING if you cant prove it is true. And picking and chosing what you BELIEVE to be true does NOT prove a point.

• tec
    tec

But Still, mP IS using the bible to state that Christ is racist. So is it not fair to use the bible to show that He is not? I asked both of you to answer a couple of questions regarding this racism issue. Can you?

And I was happy to use that verse to show that it e x ists, which was my point.

And if someone is going to accuse someone else of being a racist, then in order to establish that, you've got to have more than a feeling about something that person did... especially when there IS another reason for it, and when other evidence flies in the face of your accusation.

I am not the one making the accusation. I am not the one claiming that the bible shows Christ to be a racist. I am using the 'evidence' that someone else is using to make that accusation, to defend against that accusation. I think that is allowed, even in a court of law. Innocent unless proven guilty, also, right?

Peace,

Tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

tec...the bible is so contradictory the point is, that anyone can pick and choose anything they like out of it to make their point. It doesn't matter what has been quoted to you. You don't want to see it, or dismiss it. However, whatever YOU want to quote is fact...why?...because you think it is. THAT is NOT evidence. And would be thrown out of a court of law.

I would say that you are the one that 'has a feeling' about it. Because regardless of the 'actions' that have been pointed out...you pull out a scripture that supposidly explains those actions. But what you don't seem to understand is anyon can pull anything out of the bible to support what they say. So your evidence has not based in fact only feeling.

You begin with the premise that Jesus would not do this thing, so you look for 'proof' that he did it for a different reason. The problem is, he did do the action...and you trying to connect the dots to excuse the behaviour away. This is NOT evidence. No matter how hard you try to convince yourself that it is.

• mP
  • tec
    tec

Then why will neither one of you answer my two questions? How hard is it to answer them? If He is racist, then how do you or mP answer the questions that show differently?

• mP
    mP

@tec

I dont know which q are directed at me. Continue this in the other thread. Im confused !

• tec
    tec

You want me to start this conversation from scratch all over again? I have no desire to do that, lol. But I will copy/paste our converstation from here to over there if you like.

And the questions I have asked repeatedly are these:

If this was about racism, then how is it that anyone of any race (strangers, not Israel) could join them and share in the promises of the covenant? As well, how is it that we are shown that people of every tribe and every nation and language are invited into the kingdom?

Another point I would like your opinion on, is why Christ said to go and preach to all the earth? Was that just to state "Nanananana, Jews rule, gentiles drool? You're not gettingin because you're not Jewish?" Or was it to invite them in. Just as in revelations, where it says, "After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language..."

Peace, tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit