How to get your family out of the JW world.

by Giordano 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Giordano
    Giordano

On another thread a new poster The Truth is Mine talked about needing to stay undercover so that he doesn't lose control of his family to all of his well meaning theocratic relatives.

I remember reading a number of success stories about how some on this forum managed to get out with their families intact. In particular I was looking for Mad Sweeney's account of his family bible study night and others who were able to find a way to connect to their loved ones.

I imagine there are a number of lurkers/posters who would like to know how they accomplished that.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

I for one would like to know how to get my brother's family out of the JWs intact.

Very difficult as he acknowledges that the JWs are not very scriptural, but still believes that they have the TRUTHtm

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

How to win the lottery

Very difficult as he acknowledges that the JWs are not very scriptural, but still believes that they have the TRUTHtm

I would try the early watchtower open racism angle (colored brother prayed himself to white; the colored servant, etc) and see if they will accept that even if those were the actions of imperfect men at the time, Jehovah would not have wanted to have ANYTHING in common with such ideas, regardeless of the time and that everybody else was doing it.

Remember, Jehovah never changes. It's not like he was racist then and now, inline with the times and civil liberties, he is no longer...

• 3dogs1husband
    3dogs1husband

I had been doing research, and one night looked over at my husband and said "you know its (reffering to JW's) all bullshit don't you?" and he said "of course what do you think I am stupid?" best 10 second coversation we ever had in ten years of Marriage! Cant wait for our 14th anniversary this year...and thinking of moving in the near future to finish another phase in our fade, the babies are starting to talk and you know.......lol

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Lol! Well done 3dogs1Husband...excellent post!

Loz x

• 3dogs1husband
    3dogs1husband

ty Loz as hard as it has been it has been so woth it!! We get to be the people we were always were meant to be, and secretly always knew no more guilt no more shame no more fear. It was fallin in love all over again.

• Giordano
    Giordano

3 dogs 1 husband .......When my wife and I met I was pioneering where the need was great as it was called back in the early 1960's and she was 16, I was 18 and we hit it off. Engaged 6 months latter. Married a year later ....after finishing raising each other. We pioneered, I had a couple of positions in our small congregation. We were totally bored with service and meetings. We talked about starting a family and I tried to figure out a way around the blood issue and that was a no go. I wasn't into human sacrifice and the misery index was up so high I didn't want to expose a child to it so I thought I'd give it one more try and asked Jah for a sign. The next day I was running an errand in my small PA town and heard the raw of motorcycles coming down mainstreet and some one playing "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" and decided that there it was........ that was my sign!!

So after a bit of thought I told my bride that I didn't think I believed in the JW life anymore. I looked at this beautiful women and wondered if I had made a terrible mistake. She looked at me with a big grin and within ten seconds said "good because I stopped believing in it years ago" and I said "what do you think about getting a motorcycle?"

We did a clean break, moved out of the area, and since among my many assignments I was also the publishers card servant (whatever they called it) I took our cards with us which surprisingly got lost.

That was 46? years ago. She's still a beautiful women. Seems like it was yesterday when we loaded up the Uhaul and headed down to Fort Lauderdale.

This of course does not solve the problem of how to get your family out of the WT....on the other hand my appreciation for inderpendant sisters who were casual about being a JW went way up.

• 3dogs1husband
    3dogs1husband

Awesome Giordano!!!! Love that story...... my first "real" problem was the blood issue and our children. It was the can of worms I couldnt shut. We havent done our complete break yet :( but at night when everyone has gone home and there are no pop in visitors - and it is just us and the kids it is pure heaven. Sometimes we feel a bit lost or overwhelemed with no careers or no education, but the cycle is broken for our children :)

LOVE Florida and you have me wishing for a sign to pack up and go..... Here's to great Mates, independant and free minds

• Ding
    Ding

I think that the hardest nut to crack is a JW who says, "You're stumbling me with apostate ideas" and refuses to listen to or look at anything.

I've even quoted the WT's statement that we should be willing to examine what we believe to make sure we have the truth.

Doesn't matter.

If a person simply shuts their eyes and plugs their ears, what can you do?

• etna
    etna

great story giordano, My wife dosen't beleive a thing they say too, but 2 of her kids(we were married to other people before) are in and she makes an appearance occassionally. I hate it. She can't be herself.

Etna

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit