What is the current JW stance on blood - for nursing assignment..

by coldfish 9 Replies latest watchtower medical

• coldfish
    coldfish

Hi, I'm an ex-JW, I left about 10 years ago, and my memory is getting blurry on some JW detail these days.

Sorry I'm sure there are stacks of discussions on blood already but I don't have too much time for reading through hundreds of pages. I'm a nursing student and our topic for the week is blood. I have a small assignment to do with what JWs believe, what blood products they will accept and won't accept, and the ethics.

I'm familiar with all the scripture behind their doctrine, and also with counter-arguements. But I don't know the JW current stance is on blood and blood products.

When I was a JW it was a conscience matter to use a machine that takes blood from your body and put it back into your body, like an extension of your own circulation (how embarassing I can't even think what the machine/procedure is called and I'm supposed to be a nursing student!). But with modern medicine, and the JW ever-changing doctrine, what are their views on blood fractions? Do they still disfellowship on grounds of blood? Do most JW still abide by the doctrine and carry a blood card?

I looked at an article on the official watchtower.org site, and every reference used to back up their arguement that blood transfusions are bad for your health was from the 1980s!! Surely they must have some more recent research since then?! (Or knowing the JW, perhaps not :) )

Any info or links to sites would be appreciated,

Debbie

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Normally I'd refer you to http://www.ajwrb.org but when you click on that address it comes up dead (literally).

This is the only summary by them that I could quickly access and might give you something to go on: http://www.ajwrb.org/currentwtpolicy/abstain.html

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Dear Colfish, I hope you have found enough inf, if not come back and ask again.

When you get to the Ethics side of your assignment it would be good to state that at no time could a medical practioner who decided a patient needed blood in some form be in the wrong,ethically, if they make the decision in spite of the patients wishes or wishes of the family.

Of course the law must be adhered to, and best practice guidance from the medical authorities, but the JW's and especially their children, are not making an informed choice in this matter, even purely from a religious point of view, as information has been witheld from them.

So the ethical action is to administer the medical procedure that is required.

• Alfred
    Alfred

JWs are not allowed to eat salad as this is a disfellowshipping offense according to the Bible. However, since tomatoes only makes up a small portion of the salad, they're allowed to eat just the tomatoes if their conscience is not affected in doing so, but not the entire salad. Also, they're allowed to eat lettuce. No wait, they're not allowed to eat lettuce because it is the major component of the salad... Wait, let me back up... even though lettuce practically fills the entire plate, lettuce is mostly water so it would be left to the JW's conscience if they choose to eat the lettuce but only after prayerful consideration of Biblical teachings on the matter. On the other hand, he would have to consider where he stands spiritually if he decides to consume the salad dressing along with either the lettuce or the tomatoes separately. That being said, if the salad eater shows true repentance upon being questioned by three elders, there's a good possibility that he may not have to be disfellowshipped. In such cases, a private reproval may suffice but his qualifications as a pioneer, ministerial servant or elder will need to be reviewed. According to Proverbs 4:18, there will be more updated information about this subject in the future.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Here is a summary of the entire subject. http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/blood-transfusions.php

If you are not too interested in the Biblical side of things jump to the heading on current position and changing stance.

• coldfish
    coldfish

Thanks for your replies, I think I have enough info now. Unbelievable the stance of allowing fractions which add up to the whole, one might possibly understand a complete 'no blood' rule, but to have so many exceptions to the rule is just makes a mockery of it all, it's a shame that JWs just can't see it. Thanks again

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The JW's would be hard pressed to make their stance sound anything but what it is, totally nonsense, if they were quizzed on it by someone knowledgable, like our very own JWfacts above. Most could not even explain what the doctrine now is, let alone justify it from scripture.

They have never been presented with the clear reasoning on the doctrine as presented by JWFacts.com, and so none of them are able to make an informed decision on a religious basis ! Of course there is no medical reason why blood should not be used as a last resort at least.

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.ajwrb.org/

I have no problem bringing this up (it has been updated from the old one)

Long ago, doctors and nurses that were jws could give blood to non-jws who requested it. But doctors and nurses who are jws cannot today, based on their own personal statement.

*** w75 4/1 pp. 215-216 Are You Guided by a Sensitive Christian Conscience? ***

CONSCIENCE AND EMPLOYMENT

7 Employment is an area that brings up many problems calling for the exercise of Christian conscience. Some forms of employment, such as making idols, working in a gambling establishment or being employed by a false religious organization, are clearly contrary to the Scriptures. So Christians shun these. (1 John 5:21; Col. 3:5; Rev. 18:2, 4, 5) Not all employment matters, though, are that clear-cut. Certain employment may be in a "gray area," so to speak. And sometimes, while one’s basic work is unobjectionable, one may be asked occasionally to do something questionable. So conscience can be involved.

8 For example, there are employment problems involving blood. The Bible states plainly that God’s servants should not feed on blood. (Gen. 9:3, 4; Acts 15:19, 20) Hence, Jehovah’s Christian witnesses do not eat food containing blood, such as blood sausage, or accept blood transfusions. But what if, on your job you were asked to handle blood or blood products occasionally? Would your conscience permit that? A Witness in Colorado worked in a hospital as the chief medical technician running tests of various types on body tissue and fluid. Among the many things he was expected to test were blood samples. Sometimes it was simply to check a patient’s blood for the level of sugar or cholesterol. But at other times it was to cross match for transfusion purposes. Could he do that?

9 This Christian gave careful thought to the matter. It could be seen that it would not be right for a Christian to work exclusively for a blood bank, where everything was devoted to an end that was in violation of God’s law. But that was not his situation; he ran tests of many kinds. Also, if one were a doctor responsible for the decision, one could not order a blood transfusion for a patient, any more than a Christian store owner could order and stock idols or cigarettes. However, this technician realized that in connection with blood he was merely running a test, even as a nurse might have taken the sample, a messenger might have delivered it to the laboratory and someone else might administer a transfusion or other medication on a doctor’s orders. He reflected on the principle at Deuteronomy 14:21. According to that text a Jew finding a carcass of an animal that died of itself could clear it away by selling it to a foreigner who was not under the Law’s restrictions about animal flesh not drained of its blood. So the technician’s conscience at that time allowed him to run blood tests, including those of blood for transfusions to patients who did not care about God’s law on blood.

10 Is that how your conscience would have reacted? If not, for the sake of discussion, ask yourself whether your conscience would permit you as an employee to bring the blood sample to the laboratory for testing. Or, taking yet another step farther away from the actual transfusion, could you as a truck driver deliver the testing equipment to the hospital? Or would your conscience let you make glass from which such equipment might be produced? It is clear that not all these things reasonably can be viewed as direct contributions to violating God’s law on blood. But where does one "draw the line"? Here is where conscience comes into play. While the Christian must avoid things that are unmistakably in conflict with God’s law, he is called upon to use his conscience in settling many matters. Would your conscience serve you well in such situations? Is it sensitive?

11 In this particular case, after many years of running tests, the technician began to be troubled by his conscience. It was not as if someone else should or could tell him that he was doing wrong. Nor was he looking for someone else to make his decisions for him. But he began to think: "Is it consistent to talk of neighbor love, and yet contribute, in part, to my neighbor’s breaking of God’s law?" (Matt. 22:39; Acts 21:25) Appreciating his Christian duty to support his family, he discussed the matter with his wife. (1 Tim. 5:8) Together they agreed that, if his conscience was troubled, it would be better to make a change. He left his $15,000-a-year job and began doing cleaning work, though he started off earning just $3,600 a year.

*** w64 11/15 pp. 682-683 Employment and Your Conscience ***Christians in the medical profession are individually responsible for employment decisions. They must bear the consequences of decisions made, in keeping with the principle at Galatians 6:5. Some doctors who are Jehovah’s witnesses have administered blood transfusions to persons of the world upon request. However, they do not do so in the case of one of Jehovah’s dedicated witnesses. In harmony with Deuteronomy 14:21, the administering of blood upon request to worldly persons is left to the Christian doctor’s own conscience. This is similar to the situation facing a Christian butcher or grocer who must decide whether he can conscientiously sell blood sausage to a worldly person.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Great post by Blondie there.

I used to carry blood in my pockets as a nurse, to warm them up. Study teacher was horrified at this.

She also said that all my skills as a nurse would never be need in Paradise because nobody would get sick and die. This made my self-worth plummet, after 2 years college, and 4 years Uni, I felt like everything I WAS had become worthless.

Sorry, off topic, just reminded me thats all.

Good luck with your assignment.

• coldfish
    coldfish

" He left his $15,000-a-year job and began doing cleaning work, though he started off earning just $3,600 a year."

That is just so tragic and has happened time and time again the world over. My parents were always happy to work minimum wages instead of doing qualified work, and I was made to leave school at 15 yrs old and I went pioneering. There decision wasn't related to blood or consciouness matters, but in a similar vein of not believing in tertiary education. I'm making up for lost time now though :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit