Got Turnips as FS Donation--need recipes!

by yknot 10 Replies latest jw friends

• yknot
    yknot

Good Afternoon!

Needing to appear to actually earn my dirrty thirty this month I went out for two hours......

Anywho one householder we called on was having a bumber crop of turnips! She offered and I accepted!

So I gots me 20 fresh out of the ground full turnips! (silly sister I was working with is turnip ignorant, her loss my gain!)

I have a pretty decent greens recipe but am interested in expanding my culinary palate regarding the root!

Please share you favorite turnip root recipes......

Love and Huggles Yall!

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

1. Mix with potatoes, mash, then top with butter and/or cheese and put under the grill as a side dish.

2. Slice, parboil and roast as an accompianment to a roast dinner.

3. Use in the traditional Scots dish 'neeps and tatties'.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Hats off to you pioneering yknot.

I'm not a turnip fan so I can't help with recipes I'm afraid.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

4. Boil, mash, cool and form into 'cakes' (patties?). Fry and top with a fried egg (sunny side up) as part of full breakfast.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

The greens are the best part of the turnip

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Yes, don't waste the greens! (Try including them in fried rice).

Include the chopped turnips in home-made vegetable soup.

• yknot
    yknot

Excellent ideas!

• blondie
  • wannabefree
    wannabefree

Hmmmm ... shouldn't you be putting those in the contribution box for Worldwide Work? You know what happened to Ananias and Sapphira dontcha?

• journey-on
    journey-on

Take the turnips out of the sack and look quizzically at them. Smell them. Ugh! Then while feeling guilty for what you are about to do (remember all the starving people throughout the world) gather them all up and toss in a garbage can......or donate (re-gift) them to your local food kitchen.

P.S. - I have cooked them like mashed potatoes. I mainly use the greens though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit