discussion w/ Barbara G. Harrison today

by Dogpatch 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Hi all,
    I just got off the phone with author Barbara Grizzuti Harrison (Visions of Glory; Italian Days, etc.) who is currently living in Brooklyn and has serious health problems. She is now 67, but is very mentally alert and still has an excellent sense of humor!

Among the interesting things in our conversation was people we both might have known at Bethel (she was there 1953-1956, myself 1974 to 1980). She mentioned that there was a brother on Willow Street, and that the madams would often come every Sunday night to the Bethel Watchtower Study. It was rumored that Rutherford visited there, and in fact he was treated by a doctor for syphilis and gonorrhea. Some things just were not spoken about openly. :-))

She was good friends with Hayden Covington, the Society's lawyer, among others that I cannot name for various reasons. She mentioned about the time that Harley Miller (Service Dept.) who "turned her in" for not having enough time to report, and she was told to attend a study session because of it. Harley and his wife were my next door neighbors in the 107 building. :-))

Barbara mentions how Knorr taught that sex between a man and wife was okay once a night, but twice was far too immodest even for married couples! His wife, "Mike," was one of her closest friends there. Richard took his own life during a time of depression later on. (Richard was my overseer for several years in the Pressroom).

We have agreed to do an informal interview by phone in the near future, so stay tuned to hear a rich and straightforward session from a truly amazing person.
    Randy Watters

http://www.freeminds.org

more at: http://www.freeminds.org/bethel/bethel.htm

Barbara's stories are up at:

http://www.exjws.net/visionsmain.htm

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

sorry, the "brother" on Willowe street should have read "brothel." Two similar words. :-))

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

An excerpt from her book, "Visions of Glory":

In 1944, when I, like Betty Simmons, was 9 years old, I became one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Whatever effects the Supreme Court's ruling may have had on children of Jehovah's Witnesses in Brockton, Massachusetts, it is certain that nobody thought to enforce the Court's ruling in Brooklyn, New York. After my baptism at a national convention of 25,000 Witnesses in Buffalo, New York, in the summer of 1944, I became an ardent proselytizer, distributing The Watchtower and Awake! magazines on street corners and from door to door, spending as much as 150 hours a month in the service of my newly found God—under the directives of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, the legal and corporate arm of Jehovah's Witnesses.

As I had been immersed in water to symbolize my "dedication to do God's will," I became, also, drenched in the dark blood-poetry of a religion whose adherents drew joy from the prospect of the imminent end of the world. I preached sweet doom; I believed that Armageddon would come in my lifetime, with a great shaking and rending and tearing of unbelieving flesh, with unsanctified babies swimming in blood, torrents of blood. I believed also that after the slaughter Jehovah had arranged for His enemies at Armageddon, this quintessentially masculine God—vengeful in battle and benevolent to survivors—would turn the earth into an Eden for true believers.

Coincidentally with my conversion, I got my first period. We used to sing this hymn: "Here is He who comes from Eden/ All His raiments stained with blood." My raiments were stained with blood too. But the blood of the Son of Man was purifying, redemptive, cleansing, sacrificial. Mine was proof of my having inherited the curse placed upon the seductress Eve. Mine was filthy. I examined my discharges with horror and fascination, as if the secret of life—or a harbinger of death—were to be found in that dull, mysterious effluence.

I was, in equal measure, guilt-ridden and—supposing myself to be in on the secrets of the cosmos—self-righteous and smug. I grew up awaiting the final, orgasmic burst of violence after which all things would come together in a cosmic ecstasy of joy—this in a religion that was totally antierotic, that expressed disgust and contempt for the world.

My ignorance of sexual matters was so profound that it frequently led to comedies of error. Nothing I've ever read has inclined me to believe that Jehovah has a sense of humor; and I must say that I consider it a strike against Him that He wouldn't find this story funny:

One night shortly after my conversion, a visiting elder of the congregation, as he was avuncularly tucking me into bed, asked me if I was guilty of performing evil practices with my hands under the covers at night. I was puzzled. He was persistent. Finally, I thought I understood. And I burst into wild tears of self-recrimination. Under the covers at night, I bit my cuticles—a practice which, in fact, did afford me a kind of sensual pleasure. (I didn't learn about masturbation—which the Witnesses call "idolatry," because "the masturbator's affection is diverted away from the Creator and is bestowed upon a coveted object" [Watchtower, Sept. 15, 1973, p. 568], until much later.)

So, having confessed to a sin I hadn't known existed, I was advised of the necessity for keeping one's body pure from sin; cold baths were recommended I couldn't see the connection, but one never questioned the imperatives of an elder, so I subjected my impure body to so many icy baths in midwinter that I began to look like a bleached prune. My mother thought I was demented. But I couldn't tell her that I'd been biting my cuticles, because to have incurred God's wrath—and to see the beady eye of the elder steadfastly upon me at every religious meeting I went to—was torment enough.

I used to preach, from door to door, that an increase in the number of rapes was one of the signs heralding the end of the world; but I didn't know what rape was. I knew that good Christians didn't commit "unnatural acts"; but I didn't know what "unnatural acts" were. (And I couldn't ask anybody, because all the Witnesses I linen began immediately to resemble Edith Sitwell eating an unripe persimmon when these abominations were spoken of.) Consequently, I spent a lot of time praying that I was not committmg unnatural acts or rape.

Once, having heard that Hitler had a mistress, I asked my mother what a mistress was. (I had an inkling that it might be some kind of sinister superhousekeeper, like Judith Anderson in Rebecca.) I knee. from my mother's silence, and from her cold, hard, and frightened face, that the question was somehow a grievous offense. I knew that I had done something wrong, but as usual, I didn't know what.

The fact was that I never knew how to buy God's—or my mother's— approval. There were sins I consciously and knowingly committed. That was bad, but it was bearable. I could always pray to God to forgive me, say, for reading the Bible for its "dirty parts"; for preferring the Song of Solomon to all the begats of Genesis. But the offenses that made me most horribly guilty were those I had committed unconsciously; as an imperfect being descended from the wretched Eve, I was bound, so I had been taught, to offend Jehovah seventy-seven times a day without my even knowing what I was doing wrong.

There was guilt, and there was glory: I walked a spiritual tightrope.

I feel now that for the twelve years I spent as one of Jehovah's Witnesses three of them as a member of the Watchtower Society's headquarters staff I was living out a vivid dream, hallucinating within the closed system of logic and private reality of a religion that relished disaster, rejoiced in the evil of human nature; lusted for certitude; ordered its members to disdain the painful present in exchange for the glorious future; corrupted ritual, ethics, and doctrine into ritualism, legalism, and dogmatism.

I was convinced that 1914 marked "the beginning of the times of the end." So firmly did Jehovah's Witnesses believe this to be true that there were those who, in 1944, refused to get their teeth filled, postponing all care of their bodies until God saw to their regeneration in His New World. (One zealous Witness I knew carried a supply of cloves to alleviate the pain of an aching molar which she did not wish to have treated by her dentist, since the time was so short till Jehovah would provide a new and perfect one. To this day, I associate the fragrance of cloves with the imminence of disaster.)

(p.14-16)
    http://www.exjws.net/visionsmain.htm

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

On blood transfusions:

An absurdly literal reading of the Mosaic injunction not to "eat blood," together with Paul's instructions (Acts 21:25) for Christians to "keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication," is bolstered by the Witnesses with the declaration that blood transfusion dates back to the ancient Egyptians (anything pagan is sinful) and by the seemingly contradictory fact that "the earliest reported use was a futile attempt to save the life of Pope Innocent VIII in 1492." [Yearbook, 1975, p. 222] (If the Church—whose genius it is to absorb and assimilate pagan practices so as to make Christ accessible to all people— does it, according to Witness logic, it can't possibly be right.)

It cannot be said that the Witnesses are not willing to endure grave discomfort, or to die for their beliefs. I have known Witnesses who scurried frantically from doctor to doctor, postponing vital operations in an often futile attempt to find a practitioner who would agree to operate without transfusing blood. (I have also been told, in confidence, by doctors that they did at the last moment—when it was apparent that the patient's life was at stake—administer blood transfusions unbeknownst to the Witness, in default of the agreement not to do so.) On the other hand, Watchtower publications are full of testimonials of people who were told that they would die without transfusions—and who, refusing transfusions, nevertheless lived. The 1975 Yearbook [pp. 22-25] cites the case of a woman with an aneurysm in a main artery leading to her spleen; she lost 70 percent of her blood, but survived without a transfusion. The Witnesses, she told her doctors, do not believe in divine healing. However, "because we obeyed Jehovah's command concerning blood, all of us have been blessed." This is a wonderful example of having it every which way: If you are a Witness and die because of refusing transfusions, you will live forever after your Paradise resurrection; the chances are, however—and the Witnesses bolster this with pseudoscientific evidence as to the efficacy of saline transfusions—that Jehovah will "bless" you and you will survive without a transfusion.

During World War II, male Witnesses imprisoned under Selective Service draft laws went so far as to refuse to be vaccinated, regarding vaccination, not illogically, as being no different from blood transfusion. Hugh Macmillan [Faith On The March, pp. 188-90], the elder assigned to visit and counsel imprisoned Witnesses, set them straight. He told the young men in solitary confinement that "All of us who visit our foreign branches are vaccinated or we stay at home. Now, vaccination," he said, with dubious logic, "is not anything like blood transfusion. No blood is used in the vaccine. It is a serum." He advised the jailed Witnesses to act as the prophet Jeremiah had. Jeremiah had told the governmental authorities of his time, "I am in your hands; do with me as you wish; if you put me to death, innocent blood will be on your hands." "They have you where they could vaccinate an elephant," Macmillan said, "and they will vaccinate you all" whether you agree to it or not. "If evil resulted," he told the prisoners "the government would be held responsible" by God. The blood of the innocent would be on Caesar's hands. The Witnesses agreed not only to accept transfusions, but to write a letter of apology to prison officials "for the trouble they had caused." (As one draft resister said to me about Witnesses in prison, "They were the good niggers.") My sympathy is with the Witnesses who were willing It; endure solitary confinement and withdrawal of all jail privileges and who listened to the voice of their conscience. Individual conscience, however, was overruled by the voice of authority. The jailed Witnesses were forced to violate their consciences, which told them that vaccine would pollute the bloodstream they had been taught to regard as sacred.

I grudgingly admire the brave silliness of adult Witnesses who are willing to risk the consequence of death by refusing to receive blood. They are analogous, in my mind, to would-be assassins of bad men—who are just as brave, just as silly, just as futile, and whose orientation is similarly futuristic. But how can one admire an adult who makes that life-or-death decision for a child? It is apparently a monstrous, unnatural act. But one must remember the brainwashing to which the Witnesses are constantly subjected; they are not monstrous child-haters; they are sad men and women with a mission and an obsession that overrules natural necessities and concerns.

They are surgically prepared by their overseers even to amputate their grief: "Because of the wonderful hope of the resurrection, a Christian is not overwhelmed with tears and grief. His sorrow is not as great or as deep as that upon those who have no knowledge of the hope the Bible gives." [Awake!, May 8, 1975, p. 23]

To suppress natural grief is to invite disaster. The Witnesses are psyched up to deny their grief. But I have seen Witnesses give way to an excess of grief that was terrifying. I knew a young mother who lost two small children in one year—one was run over by a car; the other died of pneumonia. The child who was struck by a car might have been saved by blood transfusions. In her fear and terror, his mother—who had been taught to make use of the world, and who could not make sense of this senseless slaughter—held him dying in her arms while she argued with doctors about blood transfusions. When her daughter died, six months later, she entered an unnatural calm, a false and dreadful stillness. She began to tell fellow Witnesses that she was sure her children were in heaven, that they visited her comfortingly in her dreams. The Witnesses, frightened by her apostasy— she could reasonably expect, according to their dogma, only to see her children resurrected to an earthly life, heaven being reserved for 144,000 older Witnesses— chided her for expressing heretical views. They scolded; they did not comfort. And yet many of them, many of the people who withheld comfort from a woman driven mad by grief, weren't monsters either. They were afraid of her because her grief threatened the security of their belief. She wasn't supposed to abandon herself to grief. So they chose to see her grief as Devil-inspired apostasy.

(p.98-100)

• Celia
    Celia

Visions of Glory was the first book about the JWs I ever read.
    Found it at the public library. Loved it so much, tried to buy it from a bookstore, but it was out of print. I had a search done and I did find one. Great writer, great story.

• anewperson
    anewperson

There must be a ton of insights she has that aren't in the book although it included a ton also, so I'm really glad you'll be speaking with her.

• anewperson
    anewperson

Randy, you'll remember how we kept emphasizing the importance of that 1998 Awake on the UN, and now somebody posted here on "Friends" or in the "Scandals" section here on another page of jehovahs-witness.com today that the UN's High Commission on Humans Rights cites that very magazine and in particular the article on the UN's founding as backing it. The link would be worth a lot to you for putting on your freeminds.org website with the other UN-WTS liason stuff. Hope you'll follow the lead up.

• anewperson
    anewperson

Randy, here it is. Mad said Dino had found it:

http://www.unhchr.ch/udhr/materials/articles.htm

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

I believe that is up here:
    http://www.unhchr.ch/udhr/materials/articles.htm

and linked from my United Nations/Watchtower site at:
    http://www.randytv.com/secret/unitednations.htm
    Is that what you meant anewperson?
    Randy

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Thank You Randy,

This women has a heart bigger than the moon. Please send her our very best wishes.

HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit