Watchtower Doctor on Blood

by Marvin Shilmer 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Watchtower Doctor on Blood

Today I added a new article to my blog about a newly published book containing a chapter on Jehovah’s Witnesses.

What makes this chapter interesting is that it’s written by a licensed doctor who is one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. His name is Jon Schiller and until just a few years ago he was on Watchtower’s staff as part of its Medical Department.

My article is titled Watchtower Doctor on Blood and is available at: http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com/2012/03/watchtower-doctor-on-blood.html

Marvin Shilmer

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com

• smiddy
    smiddy

Thanks for posting that Marvin,he really does skirt around the issue doesn`t he .

smiddy

• sizemik
    sizemik

The powerful coercive tool of shunning is not the WTS favourite subject . . . especially when linked with the death-dealing blood policy. I think the burden of culpability it creates is too much to even admit to themselves out loud . . . let alone anybody else.

The general ignorance of the consequences for JW's of shunning, works in WTS favour . . . and fails to link the mechanism with the result. This creates a false impression that blood refusals are individually voluntary . . . once again working in WTS favour.

The insidious reluctance is obvious here too . . . thanks Marvin.

• vanyell
    vanyell

Well, considering the propaganda war the Watchtower is waging on blood transfusion (see the latest youtube BS regarding it), I find it really misleading. In that youtube video, the case against blood transfusion was regarding NON-TRAUMATIC surgery and treatment. They conveniently omit trauma situations, making it look like blood alternatives can replace actual blood in the transfusion process, ergo actual blood is not needed. In various forums, discussions on what if there was a traumatic injury that the only available solution to save a life is actual blood transfusion, JWs would say it's only hyphothetical, therefore not realistic.

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

That is just sick. And who the hell published that? John Hopkins? What are we doing wrong in fighting this doctrine that we can't educate one of the most famous medical institutions on gthe planet? This is a good time to start DOING something about it. Get out there, give blood in the name of Jehovah's Witnesses. Write this piece of $#it and tell him what a whore he is. Join AJWRB forum and start volunteering for this cause. Ask me how.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Smiddy,

You are welcome.

It appears to me Dr. Schiller’s presentation on this point is to leave impression he has addressed the question head-on by sharing what to novice readers is a straightforward answer, but without actually answering what the question asks for. It’s not the sort of thing I’d want my personal doctor to practice with me.

Marvin Shilmer

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

The powerful coercive tool of shunning is not the WTS favourite subject . . . especially when linked with the death-dealing blood policy. I think the burden of culpability it creates is too much to even admit to themselves out loud . . . let alone anybody else.

Sizemik,

That’s a mouthful, and completely accurate in my opinion.

To its audience of Jehovah’s Witnesses the Watchtower organization offers substantive remarks to the effect that a subject of its communal shunning program is dead, and members who do not treat these as dead are to suffer the same fate of organized communal ostracism.

To its audience of medical professionals the Watchtower organization inevitably offers namby-pamby address as does Schiller in his remarks on the subject.

It really does not role well off the pallet of a Watchtower appointed Hospital Liaison Committee member to tell a doctor “If this 70-year-old Witness husband and father decides it’s okay to accept transfusion of platelets then he’ll suffer the consequence that his family and closest life-long friends being compelled to shun him socially or else suffer the same fate themselves.”

Marvin Shilmer

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

Well, considering the propaganda war the Watchtower is waging on blood transfusion (see the latest youtube BS regarding it), I find it really misleading. In that youtube video, the case against blood transfusion was regarding NON-TRAUMATIC surgery and treatment.

Can you provide a link to the video you allude to? I’d like to see precisely the one you’re referring to.

Marvin Shilmer

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

What are we doing wrong in fighting this doctrine that we can't educate one of the most famous medical institutions on the planet?

I don’t know that folks are doing anything wrong. I think its more of the Watchtower organization bringing so much of its resources to bear.

On the other hand, despite its enormous resources Watchtower’s vulnerability is that the Johns Hopkins of the world are open to and want to have feedback from all stakeholders. In the case of Jehovah’s Witnesses and transfusion of blood product this is more so the case because among medical students and licensed physicians it is a very hot topic from both a legal and medical perspective. This compels providers and educators to actively seek to learn views held by Jehovah’s Witnesses regardless of Watchtower teaching. What they have found over the years is that among Jehovah’s Witnesses it is not always the case that individual patients agree with this particular teaching by Watchtower. If nothing else, that is something doctors should always remember for sake of saving lives. But, of course there is always more that can be done, and should be done to the extent possible by those able.

This is a good time to start DOING something about it.

What I did in this case was to write the editor. He replied with appreciation for having a counter view to balance that offered by Schiller. In particular he appreciated documentation presented to him showing the real repercussion for Witnesses who conscientiously decide its okay to accept transfusion of blood product forbidden under Watchtower teaching.

He informed me he was making this documentation a project for the current class at Johns Hopkins. He also forwarded my review and comment to Schiller for response. I thought this was an appropriate response by Dr. Peteet.

Marvin Shilmer

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I was actually discussing this issue with a consultant today and they encouraged me to publish a paper on my theory. Medicine has a very basic rule of ethics, do no harm, do good and be just. Then the next step is to look at the patient and ask, do they have autonomy, do they have capacity. I.e. are they deciding this for themselves, do they have the mental/emotional/physical capacity to make decisions about their health.

I truly believe JW's do not have autonomy or capacity to make a life and death judgment with blood. It has been indoctrinated in an unfavourable light since their birth and or studying.

I think doctors need to have access to a leaflet for example, so it can be read to a patient so as to ensure they are informed ....about the flip flopping in policy, the biblical teaching that Jesus broke the law (sabbath: punishable by death) in order to save a life, and also a brief explination of what blood is... water, salts, iron, fats, proteins (such as albumin (egg white) etc)... red blood cells dont even have DNA. There are no mysterious secret ingrediants.

I think docotors should recognise the lack of capacity and autonomy in a person who recieves dictated rules from brooklyn on their clinical rights and at least inform them of the above. Once I have some free time (after 2015) I may get something organised lol x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit