What is REALLY wrong with EDUCATION?

by Terry 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Schooling is eeeevil cause it opens a whole up "other world" and it also teaches real truths, we can't have that!

This is what I imagine the conversation to be when the gobbling body-snatchers discuss education.

I wonder how many witless parents would put their children through any kind of educational programs if the government of their residing countries didn't have laws for just such a thing?

• Terry
    Terry

There was an old expression when I was a little boy: "Children should be seen and not heard."

A "good" child was a silent one.

The parent who does not wish to challenge the thinking of their child will eliminate any tendency early by making a sacrament of conformity.

I can remember asking my parents "Why?" questions to such an exasperating level I was often told, "Because I said so!"

Which substitutes Authority for Evidence.

Even then I knew they were cheating.

In the academic world an author must cite references to back up their assertions. In Jehovah-land only generic scripture citations are posted.

The mind-numbing scripture citations are ubiquitous garnish on a plate of dull food.

• Terry
    Terry

Judge Rutherford put himself through college and studied law. He worked in a prosecutor's office.

Hayden Covington was a brilliant attorney who had a great many books in his library on vocabulary and persuasion.

Fred Franz was supposedly a student so promising that one of his teachers placed his name as a candidate for Rhodes Scholar.

However, Nathan Knorr had a mere High School education and was not the brightest bulb in the dark place named Bethel.

Knorr, it can be asserted, was anti-intellectual. He turned over the helm of writing--unlike previous Presidents--to crackpot Freddy Franz who was

especially fond of awkward purple phraseology and wacky chronological musings.

The anti-education spin from the Watchtower can be traced to Knorr and his inferiority complex, I believe.

• AwareBeing
    AwareBeing

They don't care where the ideas come from.

It could be from presidents, or stolen from the flock.

If it works, they keep it and call it light from God.

Their a corporation, it's all hype and spin.

They recommend monitored home schooling if possible,

and cultic pioneering for minors out of school!

WT education is; walking, talking, a child's every breath

- the belief system of men grooming them for the cult.

• PYRAMIDSCHEME
    PYRAMIDSCHEME

The ignorant are easy to control.

• mP
    mP

My guess WTS would ban schooling altogether if they could. Nearly all their community function and association rules are about alienation. The simple fact is they dont want you over there with them, but at the same time, they want you over there preaching. I wont bore anyone with the whys.

• Terry
    Terry

I think how many good old boys in my old congregation use to snicker and repeat tales of "takin' down" a college-educated householder at

the door with their New World Translation.

This has great appeal among the under-schooled, the local yokel, the high-school dropout and the unemployable: you know Absolute Truth and the college graduates are going to die while you watch!

The smart people are going to be food for the birds and you, the simpleton, are going to live in their mansion.

I guess the old saying is true: God must love stupid people because He sure made a lot of them.

• AwareBeing
    AwareBeing

That's right Terry, and it happens in the North-east as well!

It doesn't have to be about winning an argument over the NWT,

but any topic with "worldly's".

I've seen this gloating over defeating a college grad. take place in more than four congos.

This mentality has had to have been developed in these elders from the society's traveling overseers.

• still thinking
    still thinking

God punished the search for knowlegde from day 1...eat from the tree of knowlege and you will surely die. That fear for the godly has been there ever since. And it is the easiest way for abusers (religious leaders) to take advantage of and control their flock. Knowlege is power and gives true feedom and choice. Any dictator knows that keeping the massess uneducated gives them the advantage of controlling them with less resistence.

• ziddina
    ziddina

[Edited...]

"...The anti-education spin from the Watchtower can be traced to Knorr and his inferiority complex, I believe. ..." Terry

No, Terry...

Please see my comments below...

"I am not sure, but did they speak disparagingly about education in the Russell and Rutherford eras? ..." WisdomFromBelow

You are correct, WisdomFromBelow...

I posted on another thread the foreword from one of Russell's "Studies in the Scriptures" volumes, dated 1908, in which he railed against college AND HIGH SCHOOL educations for children, complaining that such educations release the mind from belief in the bible - of course, he phrased it differently....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit