Vehicle registration laws in your state, especially western states

by badseed 17 Replies latest jw friends

• badseed
    badseed

Here in California, I have to get a SMOG, which is an emissions test in order to register my vehicle. Does your state require an emissions test? A regular inspection of the vehicle, or none? In Colorado, I think you don't need anything other than to carry a valid insurance. I appreciate your replies.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

In Texas you must have your vehicle inspected every year and you receive an inspection sticker that goes next to your registration sticker. The state does not allow the inspection to cost more than $39.99. It may include an emissions test. The inspection makes sure your breaks work, all your lights, seatbelts, horn, gas tank cover, and even the windshield wiper blades (no breaks).

I'd gladly deal with the California smog check.

• james_woods
    james_woods

The Texas emissions test goes by county - also, if your car is over 25 years old the emissions test is exempted. You still have to pass the safety tests.

You have to show proof of insurance as well.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

And in Texas for the registration you just need proof of insurance and pay a fee of around $55.

• TD
    TD

In some counties, AZ has an emissions test of sorts. If the vehicle is '96 or newer, you have to take it to a test station every other year. They plug into the data port and if the computer reports no malfunctions in the emissions system, you pass. If your check engine light has not been on at any point in the last 200 miles, you've got nothing to worry about.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

If you have five dollars, you can get an inspection sticker on anything, here. The last time I bought one, the guy literally didn't check a single thing on my vehicle. (Not all shops are like this, but plenty of them are.)

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Used to have to do that here, but not any more. Either way, a $20 handshake used to smooth things over.

• undercover
    undercover

Back in the day, I could go to my favorite garage and the guy would slap an inspection sticker on the car without looking at it and I'd pay him a few bucks extra.

Nowadays, everything is tied to a computer system that goes through a central checking system. Before you can get your car's new yearly registration/tags, you have to have had the car inspected within the previous 90 days. No inspection, no registrtation. When you get the car inspected they hook it up to a computer that reads the emissions (in the more urban counties). If it passes, then you can go get your yearly registration/tags. The only good thing is that there are no more stickers on your windshield. Which means no more getting stopped for expired inspection stickers (which I used to get pulled over for regularly because I would push the envelope on how long I could go between inspections - my record was an extra 18 months, 2 1/2 years total, before getting caught)

• cofty
    cofty

In the UK all cars older than 3 years get an annual MOT test. It is quite detailed and checks brakes, steering, suspension, corrosion, windscreen, wipers, lights belts and emissions.

The emissions test measures levels of CO and hydrocarbons. Permitted levels vary according to the age of the vehicle.

The test costs about £40- and there is a charge for a re-test if the car fails. As the test is now logged on a computer database the police know through their on-board computers if your test has expired.

• bigmac
    bigmac

the full mot fee where i am is about £54--whats that--$70?--but some test garages charge less--but might charge for extra repairs to bump the bill up. but then you have to have insurance--i pay around £ 200 a year--but most young drivers pay TEN TIMES this amount. then you need to road tax your vehicle--and this is now soooo complex i wont go there--i pay around £225 a year.

all this before any fuel goes in--typically around £6 a gallon here (whats that--$8?)

motoring is very expensive in the UK--but any alternatives a likely to be even dearer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit