What are the best things to first bring up to a JW parent about mistakes, lies, etc., from the GB?

by Chemical Emotions 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

I need advice.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Might I humbly suggest that WHAT could be the wrong question - at least to start with.

Since we are dealing with arcane cults, addiction and spiritual bondage HOW may be the most important or first question.

Many posters on this site have given excellent advice based on Steven Hassan's book "Releasing the Bonds" and the chapter "Interacting with Dual Identities".

None of us like to be told what to believe. We prefer a "guided discovery" process where we are asked questions that are not too far out of our comfort zone, and then to be given the chance to investigate for ourselves and come to our own conclusion.

Depending on the person's situation one could for example ask: please can you help me understand if "legalism" is apostasy? (The only article that mentions "legalism" or the following of rules to prove or attain righteousness, calls it a denial of Christian faith).

Another is: "should we as 'publishers of the good news' preach and embrace the 'good news' according to Paul"? (More than half the Bible's 152-odd references to the "good news" are by Paul - yet Watchtower religionists are ignorant of everything but a future physical interpretation of Matthew 24:14).

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Ask them questions.

Find a subject you are familiar with eg NGO/UN fiasco, 144k doctrine, blood doctrine whatever.... and keep asking them pointed questions. Research the topic first here to get some good points, then ask your parents questions that they can't answer.

I remember reading somewhere that you're not baptised, is that right? If so, the onus is on them to convince you that the JWs have the right religion.

Hopefully, in trying to answer your questions, you can bring up ideas that might make them think.

• mind blown
    mind blown

Back up EVERYTHING you say with a scripture and do your research first. Seeing it in the bible itself is a very powerful thing.

Who are the real apostates? Well the bible shows right here:

2 Thess 2:1-17

1 Now we request you, brethren, with regard to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him,

2 that you not be quickly shaken from your 1 composure or be disturbed either by a a spirit or a 2 b message or a c letter as if from us, to the effect that d the day of the Lord e has come.

3 a Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the 1 b apostasy comes first, and the c man of lawlessness is revealed, the d son of destruction,

4 who opposes and exalts himself above 1 a every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, b displaying himself as being God.

5 Do you not remember that a while I was still with you, I was telling you these things?

6 And you know a what restrains him now, so that in his time he will be revealed.

7 For a the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only b he who now restrains will do sountil he is taken out of the way.

8 Then that lawless one a will be revealed whom the Lord will slay b with the breath of His mouth and bring to an end by the c appearance of His 1 coming;

9 that is, the one whose 1 coming is in accord with the activity of a Satan, with all power and 2 b signs and false wonders,

10 and with 1 all the deception of wickedness for a those who perish, because they did not receive the love of b the truth so as to be saved.

11 For this reason a God 1 will send upon them 2 a b deluding influence so that they will believe 3 what is false,

12 in order that they all may be 1 judged who a did not believe the truth, but 2 b took pleasure in wickedness.

13 a But we should always give thanks to God for you, b brethren beloved by the Lord, because c God has chosen you 1 from the beginning d for salvation 2 e through sanctification 3 by the Spirit and faith in the truth.

14 It was for this He a called you through b our gospel, 1 that you may gain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

15 So then, brethren, a stand firm and b hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether c by word of mouth or c by letter 1 from us.

16 a Now may our Lord Jesus Christ a Himself and God our Father, who has b loved us and given us eternal comfort and c good hope by grace,

17 a comfort and b strengthen your hearts in every good work and word.

************************************************************************* 1 Timothy 1:1-20

1 Paul, a an apostle of b Christ Jesus c according to the commandment of c God our Savior, and of b Christ Jesus, who is our d hope,

2 To a Timothy, a my true child in the faith: b Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and c Christ Jesus our Lord.

3 As I urged you 1 upon my departure for a Macedonia, 2 remain on at b Ephesus so that you may instruct certain men not to c teach strange doctrines,

4 nor to 1 pay attention to a myths and endless b genealogies, which give rise to mere c speculation rather than d furthering 2 the administration of God which is by faith.

5 But the goal of our 1 a instruction is love b from a pure heart and a c good conscience and a sincere d faith.

6 For some men, straying from these things, have turned aside to a fruitless discussion,

7 a wanting to be b teachers of the Law, even though they do not understand either what they are saying or the matters about which they make confident assertions.

8 But we know that a the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully,

9 realizing the fact that a law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and b rebellious, for the c ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and d profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers

10 1 and 2 a immoral men 1 and b homosexuals 1 and c kidnappers 1 and d liars 1 and e perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to f sound teaching,

11 according to a the glorious gospel of b the blessed God, with which I have been c entrusted.

12 I thank a Christ Jesus our Lord, who has b strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, c putting me into service,

13 even though I was formerly a blasphemer and a a persecutor and a violent aggressor. Yet I was b shown mercy because c I acted ignorantly in unbelief;

14 and the a grace of our Lord was more than abundant, with the b faith and love which arefound in Christ Jesus.

15 a It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that b Christ Jesus came into the world to c save sinners, among whom d I am foremost of all.

16 Yet for this reason I a found mercy, so that in me as the foremost, Jesus Christ might b demonstrate His perfect patience as an example for those 1 who would believe in Him for eternal life.

17 Now to the a King 1 eternal, b immortal, c invisible, the d only God, e be honor and glory 2 forever and ever. Amen.

18 This a command I entrust to you, Timothy, b my 1 son, in accordance with the c prophecies previously made concerning you, that by them you d fight the good fight,

19 keeping a faith and a good conscience, which some have rejected and suffered shipwreck in regard to 1 b their faith.

20 1 Among these are a Hymenaeus and b Alexander, whom I have c handed over to Satan, so that they will be d taught not to blaspheme.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

In connection with the UN-NGO debacle. This argument, based on Matt. 24:15 and Mark 13:14, is for those that are trying to convince family and friends to get out of the Borg. The reasoning follows WT theology:

NWT Matthew 24:15 Therefore, when YOU catch sight ofthe disgusting thing that causes desolation, as spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in a holy place , (let the reader use discernment,)

NWT Mark 13:14 However, when YOU catch sight ofthe disgusting thing that causes desolation standing where it ought not (let the reader use discernment), then let those in Judea begin fleeing to the mountains.

First application :

The disgusting thing causing desolation = The Roman armies

In a holy place = in the temple area of Jerusalem’s temple

Judea = literal Judea, with Jerusalem as capital

To the mountains = the literal mountains of Israel

Second application :

When you catch sight of = notice, even for a short period of time

The disgusting thing causing desolation = The UN

Standing

In a holy place = place of true worship

Where it ought not

Judea = the beautiful land, spiritual paradise of God’s anointed remnant

Begin fleeing

To the mountains = God’s mountain and Jesus’ mountain , more specifically to the valley between the two mountains (Zech. 14:3-5)

The UN stood in the “holy place” for nine years, from 1992-2002. Now is a good time to flee.

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Thanks, everyone (especially BP).

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

I ask my spouse questions, he has no answers and often agrees that I am right. Yet, he says he will always remain a JW. He is a 3rd gen born-in...there are none so blind as he who just won't see.

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

I'm afraid that will happen. They'll all stay blind.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I don't know much about your situation, but if I was young I'd be quiet and let them pay for my education first. Then I'd get a good job and an apartment. When I didn't depend on them for anything I'd start asking them questions, and stick to topics I felt might be an issue for them.

W

• inbetween
    inbetween

usually older ones remember the hype about 1975, and if they are honest, they will have to madmit, that it was not the brothers running ahead, but it was the whole Org pushing this date.

Its a little start, they surely considered it back then, and still stayed, however, reminding them and then introducing other mistakes of the borg may eventually bring in the straw that break the camles back.

Then again, some camels are very strong....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit