As an ex near witness I have a voracious capacity for reading

by Star tiger 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Star tiger
    Star tiger

Hi,

Since nearly being consumed by witness mentality as an almost baptised member but thankfully due to my fantastic wifes scepticism toward it, I have now embarked on a voracious capacity for reading all the books that were once excluded from my list to get a total rounded out experience of life from the Communist manifesto to Atlas Shrugged, wealth of nations, the age of reason, Robert Anton Wilson, the Koran and dare I say it Mein Kamf, the Vedas, but I am still a bit frightened of the Golden Bough due to the residue of the Jw's. All knowledge must be good, I've read the Bible and but it seem a bit meh!, All books have some interesting points, except the Nazi one but it's good to read anything you can!

Anybody else obssesed with reading!!

Best Regards,

Star Tiger

• Star tiger
    Star tiger

Hi,

I know you are intellectual people somebody must read something!!!

Regards,

Star Tiger

• Fernando
    Fernando

My mind was captive to the Watchtower until awakened by the gospel. This led to some amazing big picture discoveries through connecting the dots during voracious searching-reading. I never imagined in my wildest dreams this would be possible for me. Now I know it is available to anyone who wants it.

I have come to conclude that with powerful search tools like Google (and even the Watchtower search engine) it is possible to do 10,000 years of old style manual research in just 1 year. This resourcing, awakening and empowering of ordinary folk will be the end of hegemonies like the Watchtower as evidenced by the Arab Revolution/Spring.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I'm a naturally voracious reader, even if I wasn't born-in.

• scary21
    scary21

Totally, got to have a book at all times !!!!!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I have always been a reader, but since leaving the JW's and realising my abysmal ignorance in many areas, I have started to read a wide range of stuff that will round out my education, philosophy is a fovourite,ancient and modern, I am reading a lot about science ,evolution being the first thing I wanted to get a proper grasp of.

I am not afraid of ghosties and ghoulies, apart from being kicked in the latter, so will read Magick or any of that stuff (mostly fanciful nonsense IMHO) but I have had to learn to use critical thinking skills with a number of things I have read, many writers are not above using dodgy argumentation or worse.

Just as an example, I was reading a scientific paper and it had not been presented for peer review, which put up a warning flag, I checked the references and all the supporting research that was quoted was from others who supported the theory being expounded, which meant that no opposing evidence was presented, a W.T type method.

So Good Reading ! you will find others on here willing to recommend books, look back at some not so old threads on the subject, lots of good stuff.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Sorry, double post, the next thing I must learn is to control my fat finger !

• mP
    mP

inwould recommend jospeh atwills caesars messiah.

- did you know nazareth was discoverd by constantines mum queen helena and that nazareth sis notb exist beforehand?

- did you know the apostle paulsmtrip to rome macthes jsoephus ownntrip, sea'wreck, malta etc, google for it --josephus paul rome--

-did you know only titus does everything jesusnpredicts?

- did you know comparing titus campaign and location of battles matches jesus wondering aeound judea.

- did you ever wonder why everyone women in the gospels just about is called mary? im serious make a mental list.

- did younknow mesada was destroyed exactly fortynyears to donthe day of christsbdeath?

- did you know titus two majormadvesroeis in his campaign were called simon and john, like jesus favorite disciples?

- did you know jospeh of arimathea is a play on josephus hebrew name, joseph ben matthais, and there is no arimathea?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

mP,

Some of your factoids are very interesting. Would you mine telling us where you learned this information? They may very well be true but I also feel they are a bit odd.

• Adiva
    Adiva

I am never without a book. I read 2 - 3 at a time and will read up to 200 pages a day, especially if it's particularly riveting. Novels, short stories, history, self-help, meditation . . . whatever strikes my fancy.

Reading is fun and knowledge is power.

Adiva

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit