Should you ever tell tour aging parents the truth about the truth

by Star tiger 31 Replies latest forum announcements

• Star tiger
    Star tiger

Hi,

Since finding out the truth about the truth myself and having successfully extricated myself and my parents about the Jw's, I find myself with a new dilema that being they still believe the Bible as a literal book for their salvation as I has read all of Thomas Paines works and how the Bible is not very good for the Human family, as they are of advancing years would it be inappropriate to shatter their illusions of some kind of paradise and let them flounder in a moral precipice and wonder what their lives have been about. On the flip side once their time has come how would I feel for not telling them their false views.

A t the moment I am in the Deist point of view, with a tendency of the Agnostic, it is quite a dilema!

Appreciate yout comments,

Best Regards,

Star Tiger

• cofty
    cofty
    as they are of advancing years would it be inappropriate to shatter their illusions of some kind of paradise

Yes I think so. For that reason I have no desire to convince my parents about their delusion, what would it really accomplish?

On the flip side once their time has come how would I feel for not telling them their false views.

Personally I will feel content that I did the right thing.

• Star tiger
    Star tiger

Hi,

Sorry about using tour instead of your in the title, it's a very emotional topic of decimating the Bibles view of things, but as others have said the man that only reads one book is a fool.

Regards,

Star tiger

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

IMHO, you've done enough. At this point, The Bible is perhaps more useful to them than the truth is.

• I Want to Believe
    I Want to Believe

The movie "The Invention of Lying," while not a great film, did have a few interesting ideas. It presented an extremely atheistic point of view, but still put forth the notion that "lying" in regards to end-of-life matters was a positive thing, a comfort to help everyone deal with the fear of death. What would it accomplish to take that comfort away? They probably wouldn't just accept it anyway, and all you'd do is strain your relationship.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

No, I would not do that since my inheritance is at stake.

• simon17
    simon17

Agree with all above, at this point in their life it accomplishes nothing to tell them their entire life's structure was a sham. Let them die in peace.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Amen.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

You have done a good thing getting them out of a distructive cult ...after that everyone should be free to believe as they wish . All being said NO ONE can PROVE what there is after we die so don't push the issue with them . Let them believe what ever comforts them in their old age .

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

I found out the truth about "the Truth" in my mid-50's. My dad passed away a few years ago and my mom has drowned her pain and sorrows by serving Jehovah (WT) full time. At 78 years old she has nothing else in her life and if I told her how I really feel about this dam cult, it would only break her heart. I am 100% that Jesus Christ himself couldn't convince her that the WT is a scam and that she would believe that Satan has desguised himself as an angel of light to draw her away from "the truth". So I will avoid discussing why I can no longer continue wasting my life away serving a publishing empire. My younger brother is an elder in her congregation and I told him what's going on with me. He agreed to keep this from my mom. I hope that he figures it out for himself and some of the things I discussed with him had him rattled...now all he has to do is do his own research.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit