All you men here, who does the house cleaning?

by James Mixon 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

My wife and I have a great relationship.

We split cooking and dishwashing. We both love to cook and we both hate to wash dishes.

We both work full-time, but have different schedules. Whoever goes to work last makes breakfast. That means I make breakfast four days a week and she does it three. On Sunday she brings coffee to bed and makes exquisite love to me. Then she makes breakfast and we read the paper on our back patio. I'm a kept man.

She does all of the laundry. She doesn't even want me to fold my own clothes.

When it comes to other task, we split them on a case-by-case basis.

We do a lot of "home-improvement" jobs together.

She wanted to remodel the downstairs bathroom. She did the faux finishing and I did the carpentry.

I installed a handrail on our stairs by myself.

We are going to build an outdoor kitchen in the next few weeks. I'll assemble the BBQ grill. Together we'll lay the concrete pad and layout the stonework.

She tends the garden, I rake the leaves.

What works for us might not work for you. It's a great relationship for us.

I am an ex-JW. She never was.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Oubilette: the same with me, She never was a JW.

Kalk: fitted sheets give me hell, folding them.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I do most everything, but only because I don't have a payin job. Mr. Chips will be retiring in a few years and we will then split things up a bit more.

My mother in law broke her leg and my Father in law was completely lost, he had never paid bills or cooked, he is in his eighties and it's sad to see. So my husband started doing the dishes the other day and I asked why, he said he didn't want to get like his father.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon
    LisaRose: I have no idea what bills we have, oh sh---t..
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    I work six days a week and no I do not do the house cleaning.
  • kaik
    kaik
    I am working on my Master's, so I have little time for everything, doing full time job and the study. My hobbies are gone, and so is my gym. At least the second half is understanding and supportive that I cannot do everything around the house as I used to do. This is my first free weekend with light study after three months of hell with homeworks.
  • smiddy
    smiddy

I have always helped around the house , however I must admit my wife does a bigger share than I do on an everyday basis ,

I do the food shopping , vacuum the house ,hang the washing out ,do the dishes ,on a regular basis .

And periodically wash the windows , clean the oven ,mow the lawn ,clean the bathroom .

She is more constant on a day to day basis , and she does suffer with Parkinsons disease .

smiddy

• bradford
    bradford
    Is this a thing when you are a JW? For the 6 years we've been married, we have both always worked and both done cooking and cleaning together. It was never anyone's job. Now that we are out, nothing has changed except the fact that now we have more time together since we don't worry about field service on Saturday, meeting on Sunday, and all those extra books and magazines aren't lying around everywhere!
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

My husband does the grocery shopping and cooking. When I have to cook, it's very simple fare which he doesn't really care for. I usually do the dishes and clean up the kitchen.

I do most of the indoor cleaning with the exception of the bathtubs. Even with Scrubbing Bubbles, it takes me forever to get the grime out of the tub and he can knock it out in a few minutes!

My son, who is 14, helps with the vacuuming sometimes and yesterday he helped mow the lawn.

My husband does exterior maintenance, but the gardening we do together. He has done the snowblowing in the past, but my son now also helps with that.

I do all the laundry. I also do the finances. These are things I like to do, though.

He does the car maintenance though I pump my own gas.

Home improvement work we work on together, though anything that has to be assembled is my job. I was the one who always stayed up late Christmas Eve assembling various large toys!

I feel like our arrangement is very fair and we both seem to be satisfied.

• done4good
    done4good

We are fortunate to have cleaners every other week...

I am a clean freak, so even though my wife is quite capable and responsible in this area, (for example I know better than to have anything to do with the laundry, because I am never doing it right, according to her), when it comes to most other things, I find myself often re-doing or being just downright anal about either something she or the cleaning folks did.

Overall, when it come to domestic chores, we are pretty good at divide and conquer.

d4g

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit