Dragons? Satan? Really Now?

by mrbunyrabit 26 Replies latest watchtower medical

• mrbunyrabit
    mrbunyrabit

In the bible Satan is likend to a Dragon.

And in reading the Revelation book, i can clearly remember images of a big red dragon being cast to earh

What i want to know, is if there were never any bones or evidence found that dragons existed, how the hell did the people of old know what the bible was talking about if they didnt know what a dragon was?

And is it just me... or is dragons a pagan thing... (like its used in china etc...)

(Or did dragons actualy exist but we just didnt descover them yet) -- I doubt that though....

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I saw a show on fossils in Europe. Older civiizations along a specific track would find the remnants of prehihstoric animals. They thought they were contemporaries. Most of the legend of one eyed peope, wooly mammoth, dragons come from this section of earth. It is a wide swatch across Europe and into Asia. Greece has one of the heaviest cocncentrations. I believe it had to do with climate. The carccase were buried particularly close to the surface.

Dragons are noble. What wouldl ife be like (sterile) without the Medieval exploits of dragons. Unicorns played an important part of European lore, too. Without Darwin, it must have been difficult to explain these creatures. The Witnesses must have a similar world view b/c evolution is not allowed.

I want dragons, giants, unicorns in my life. They existed in people's minds and culture. Imagine the Rockkefeller Unicorn Tapestries at the Cloisters without the unicorns. A poorer society.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

We had a program at our Natural History Museum that showed how ancient people interpreted fossils. This is along the lines of what BOTR is saying. I am a member, so one of the employees told me about it ahead of time. She took me to a mammoth skull--it has a huge hole in the middle. She asked me what that hole was for. It took me a minute, but I realized it was the sinus cavity. She said, now imagine not knowing what this was, and you find the skull. You hold it upright, what do you see now? An eye I told her. Exactly. A giant, one-eyed beast. A cyclops.

So my point is, the people filled in ignorance with mythology. It's quite understandable and logical. The question is this: Even if the people didn't know, their god should have known. So why the dragon? What sense does that make?

NC

• elderelite
    elderelite

No no.... We had a co explain it all.... He said in genisis satan was a mere serpant.. In revelation he was a mighty dragon! *que ooooh's and ahhhh's, while EE wretches in his seat*

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

So---snakes are---uhm---evolving into....into....dragons?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr8DIg3oHFI&feature=fvst

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I remember questioning this when I was 'in'. The final analysis was that 'dragon' is another word for 'snake' or comes from its roots, whatever.

Loz x

• elderelite
    elderelite

Thats right NC! I know its true.... Cause i heard it from the platform !!!

• Twitch
    Twitch

I think it's a safe assumption that evidence of dinosaurs existed for ancient man, of all cultures around the world. I imagine that if I were the hunter/gatherer type and came across some fossil of a truly monstrous creature, I'd think "there be dragons here". Or somewhere beyond the horizon of the unknown. Thus a myth is born.

Hell, I might be inclined to name a constellation after one, even.

• Night Owl
    Night Owl
    Or did dragons actualy exist but we just didnt descover them yet) -- I doubt that though....

Yes.

NightOwl

• FaithfulBrother
    FaithfulBrother

Job 41:18-21 speaks of a fire-breathing dragon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit