I am going to have Acupuncture for my depression - anyone done this??

by hamsterbait 34 Replies latest jw friends

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

I suppose you have probably considered things like st john's wort - a friend of mine had a lot of relief from it, it is herbal but you'd need to check if it was contraindicated with any meds you have and/or your diabetes. I'm sure you'd do that anyway.

I have had great results from acupuncture for some things and not for others. What is there to lose by giving it a go for yourself?

• talesin
    talesin

I have 2 friends who used it for Chronic Fatigue -- works! Another who got some help with lower back. It is a recognized science, and I would give it a go if I were you.

Transactional analysis is great, and helped me understand how my mind works, and to change my thinking.

Simple things can help, too. Getting fresh air & natural light every day (15 mins outside), treating yourself once a week to something you enjoy (doesn't have to cost money), and I've found that belonging to a cat lover's group where ppl post funny funny pictures online --- I check in before bedtime, gives me a much needed chuckle/smile to end the day.

Edit: Oh, and what cult classic said!!!!! Greens, greens and more greens. (PS, I am a type 2 Diabetic as well, no meds - walking has been the key.)

Edit #2: Also, using beans and lentils has helped a lot - they help with the glycemic index (complex carbs and good protein).

tal

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I had it for severe pain. No improvement at all, I tried qi gong and Chinese herbs next. Someonething bizarre happened with the qi gong. My skeleton was measurably stronger after the qi gong application. Also, my surgon drew lines on my face using qi gong. Different substances were different colors.I looked like a Native American decked out for warfare. No, I did not improve. I believe in FDA drugs. The Chinese pharmacist said I was very ill and all the herbs could do was improve my immune system. I feared going into NY Chinatown b/c of the filth. Everything was pristine.

The Chinese herb must be washed and washed b/c of pesticides. YOu cook them forever in a special pot that made my apt stink to high heavens.

The Qi Gong seemed the most beneficial. Altho it was not a miracle cure, I know something exists beyond Western medicine. The face paintings absolutely correlated with my facial pain.

There were a variety of acumpunte types that I tried. One might work and another fail. When I started, acupunture had just been legal in NY state. Later, a more Westernizied version surface. I felt more comfortable b/c people were speaking to me in English and using Western scientific terms.

Good luck. There is no way it can hurt. Many people report results.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Good luck to you! I'm going vegetarian and then vegan and exercising.

Seeing how that does for my health.

• Iamallcool
  • Glander
    Glander

Many non-prescription aids or therapies for depression are given favorable comments by folks who have tried them. This is good. Whether it is St. Johns wort or accupuncture, vegan diet, Qi Gong, etc etc. if it works for you don't knock it.

(The Placebo effect is real and can be very effective, especially with this complaint)

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Hamsterbait, try Vita Logic Mood Formula. In your case, take two capsules when you feel bad. Only two capsules daily.

• trancy211
    trancy211

good for u.

• mind blown
    mind blown

Hello Hamsterbait, thanks for letting us know of your condition, we're all here for you

Every once in a while this condition digs it's claws in me as well, but haven't tried Acupuncture. Some cities have Acupuncture Clinics, where they dedicate one day out of the week, on a donation basis. Check it out.

I'm kinda a health nut and have done tons of research on this. Sometimes other causes can also trigger depression. If you're drinking at all. Stop. Alcohol is a depressent. Lighten up on your coffee, using half the measurements then you would normally. Caffeine lifts your energy and mood then drops it even lower then before or use decafe

CornSyrup, it's as bad as Sugar and Sugar is toxic. Check your food labels. I used to drink soy milk & almond milk thinking It was good, however, it's loaded down with CornSyrups. I now drink regular milk. If you need to sweeten things use Coconut Sugar/Palm sugar/Agave syrup (very low 35 on the glycemic index) or other doctor recommended sweetners. Avoid some fruits, you can research which ones are the sweeter one.

Wheat or gluten allergies (Celiac desease) also causes depression. Lots of gluten free products on the market (lemme know if you need help with this)

Avoid like the pleage white breads, fake wheat breads (only eating once in a great while) Best breads are whole sprouted grain breads.

Keep hydrated with water. Get sun (vitamine D) sunshne does wonders 5 to 10 mins. Take walks.

You don't have to cut out meats & chicken, however, eat less of it or cut your portions. Have more veggies, beans, eggs, noodles/pastas, oatmeal, grains.

Vitamine B "complex" is awesome for taking the edge of depression.

Vitamine D

Theanine is a amino acid derivative which is awesome! Good for depression, relaxation and brain activity!

Homeopathic remedies are also awesome!

Azenda is (s-adenosylmethionine) productin and activation of of neurotransmitters serotonin and dopanimes.

Milk thistles is a good liver clease as well. Good to get built up toxins out.

Mulit Vitamine.

Also a book on body reflexology is handy...I have one called Healing At Your Finger Tips. (if you give yourself foot and hand messages on a reg basis this does wonders.

I would start with your diet first, as well as hydration, sun, messaging your hands and feet first (great energy booster) . Then do reasearch on suggestions and pick from there.

If your female going through the dreaded change, then that will mess with your head and mood for sure. suicidal even. If it gets too bad, Atenenol is a beta blocker good for your mood, heart rhythm and blood pressure.

If you need more help give a shout out......

• White Dove
    White Dove

Taking notes, Mind Blown.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit