Shun Run/Walk 2012

by rawe 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Gayle
    Gayle

I will plan to go for this with the group!

• trancy211
    trancy211

well done, good for u.

• JRK
    JRK

Perfect, and on April Fools Day too (How appropriate for the GB).

JK

• its_me!
    its_me!

Great idea! I am on the other side of the country or I would certainly be there! I hope that there are many who participate!

• rawe
    rawe

<!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } -->

If you would like to join us on our Shun Run/Walk 2012, the group will meet at 10am on Sunday April 1 st , 2012 at the Central Arizona College. We will walk from there to Casa Grande Assembly Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. The walk will be about 2.9 miles and should take one hour to walk at a moderate pace.

The direction as per Google maps is:

Central Arizona College

8470 North Overfield Road

Coolidge, Arizona 85128

1. Head southeast on N Overfield Rd 0.3 mi

2. Turn right onto W Woodruff Rd 1.0 mi

3. Turn left onto N Weaver Rd 0.9 mi

4. Turn left onto W McCartney Rd 0.5 mi

5. Turn left onto N Azurite Way

Destination will be on the right 0.1 mi

Casa Grande Assembly Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses

6627 North Azurite Way

Casa Grande, AZ 85194

As a reminder if you choose to join us, please keep in mind the main focus of this public awareness event is to be of encouragement to those who have left the faith and are currently facing shunning. By putting a public face on who really is the target of such shunning we can show that we are not individuals who would brazenly claim to be Christians while fornicating with our step mother ( 1 Corinthians 5 : 1 ), nor are we “mentally diseased” ( 1 Timothy 6 : 4 ), nor are we unrepentant practicer of stealing, lying or drunkenness. No! Rather we know full well the real issue at hand – those who seek to have religious control over others find loyalty between family and friends one of the most threatening things.

We also plan to both respect the seriousness of the issue at hand, while still having fun and enjoying the walk. Hope to see you there!

Cheers,

-Randy

• Scott77
    Scott77

Sounds like a very great idea. I wish could have participated. I live far away.

Scott77

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

What a fun idea. Be sure to dress "modestly"

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Everyone,

This was an email I sent to members of the ex-JW Chandler meet up...

Hard to believe -- but April 1st is just two weeks away. I did a couple things to prepare for our Shun Run/Walk 2012. First me and my 2nd oldest dropped by Brand X and designed a T shirt that will say "Shun Run/Walk 2012" on the front and "Coping for today, Hoping for Tomorrow" on the back. I bought twelve of them and will hand them out on a first come first served basis. You are welcome to contribute to help defer the cost -- but you are absolutely not required to do so.

My wife and I drove out to Coolidge/Casa Grande to drive the walk and check out what may be available for parking. As far as we can see parking at the college would put your car at risk of being towed. But I did stop and talk to the owner of the "Stop By Market" and she said we would be welcome to park on the dirt area beside her store. If you do so, it might be a kind gesture to stop in and buy something (you must use cash if you purchase less than $10).

Most of the road looked quiet with only a few spots where the shoulder narrows. Nonetheless we all must be careful to make sure we are both visible and off to the side as much as possible. The sign for the assembly hall is right at the corner, so it should make a nice background for any photos/videos we take. Please be careful not trespass on their property.

My wife also had this idea for those who feel they can not walk the distance. They could drive ahead and wait at the assembly hall to welcome the walkers as they turn the corner.

Today it is raining so please keep a check on the weather before leaving. Having something for rain may be a good idea. The area around the college and assembly hall is rural and I did not see anything that would disallow bringing a dog. If you do decide to do that, make sure to have a plastic bag to clean up. And of course you would only want to bring your dog if he or she is well known to interact with other dogs positively and is up to date on shots and whatnot.

I must add the disclaimer that while Jehovah's Witnesses take great pride in how organized they are -- we are not like that. Rather the organization of this event is rather loose, based on the idea each participant can be trusted to make their own good choices. Afterwards for example some may leave and call it a day, while others may find some place to go and eat and reflect on the day. That is up to you. Above all, stand up for yourself and others to say it is okay to leave Jehovah's Witnesses. Also, it is neither fair nor just for religious leaders to cruelly manipulate the emotions and loyalties of those under their influence.

Cheers,
    -Randy

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Everyone,

I'm posting to give this thread one last booster.

What: Shun Run/Walk 2012 - [i]Coping for Today, Hoping for Tomorrow.[/i]
    When: Sunday, April 1st, 2012 at 10am
    Where: W Woodruff Rd & N Overfield Rd, Coolidge AZ
    Link: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=W+Woodruff+Rd+and+N+Overfield+Rd,+Coolidge+AZ&hl=en&ll=32.952711,-111.651027&spn=0.006905,0.009645&sll=32.943393,-111.653624&sspn=0.027623,0.054932&hnear=N+Overfield+Rd+%26+W+Woodruff+Rd,+Casa+Grande,+Arizona+85194&t=m&z=17

FAQ:
    Q. What is this?
    A. A small group of ex-JWs, ex-LDS and Atheists will walk or run 2.9 miles to raise awareness of the harm caused by religious shunning.

Q. Must I run?
    A. No, you can walk -- plan on about 1hr

Q. Must I walk?
    A. No, you can meet us on the road outside the Assembly Hall: 6627 North Azurite Way, Casa Grande, AZ 85194

Q. Is this a protest march?
    A. Not really. We recognize that Jehovah's Witnesses, like others, enjoy freedom of religion. We also know most Witnesses would not choose to shun friends and family members of their own accord. Instead as former members we recognize current members for the most part are responding to the religious influence of Governing Body.

Q. What do you hope to accomplish?
    A. We hope to be of encouragement to at least a few former members who have left, perhaps are shunned, but are still in fear of speaking up.

Q. Can I have a T shirt?
    A. Maybe. I have had 12 T shirts made up and some are already spoken for. Otherwise I will hand them out on a first come first serve basis to any who participate.

Q. Will you do this again?
    A. I hope so. I would like to run this event on the Sunday closest to the memorial each year.

Cheers,
    -Randy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit