Theo Min School and Public Speaker Training Outdated...

by Confucious 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The Outstanding Speakers that came out of the TMS were those who already had the natural ability to excel at Public Speaking. The TMS never "produced" anything other than perhaps help make someone comfortable with speaking in front of a crowd.

The last couple of Public Talks I attended were some of the poorest speaking I have ever heard. Monotone. Poor grammar. Incoherent. I see it as an indication that anyone with "talent" is no longer bothing.

Doc

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Ministry School prepares you..

For better comprehension of WBT$ Literature..

.....................;-)...OUTLAW

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Being a born in (now a "bored out") I can earnestly say that I never learned a thing from the ministry stool. All I've ever seen are a bunch of people forced to go against all natural inclination, get on a stage in front of everyone and speak on a subject they know nothing, and could care less, about. The organizations one size fits all strikes again!

Everyone has different natural abilities, some just do not speak eloquently or simply have stage fright; forcing such one's to learn to be a public speakers is pointless. Even if you aren't fearful of having an audience, to be an effective public speaker you must first know how to properly speak your own language. This means understanding punctuation and the fact that when it is written it must also be spoken in such a manner, I highly doubt God meant the bible to be drawl and monotone. Next you must understand your material, if you don't, what right do you have trying to teach it to anyone else, get it straight first then present it. Finally you must convey yourself and your message in an appealing manner, to do so you must somewhat like or believe in your material or it's all a complete waste of time. The whole point is you are trying to convince your audience of something, if you don't believe they'll know it, if you're faking they'll see it and if you aren't enthusiastic they'll get bored and lose interest.

I never learned any of these things from the ministry stool.

I've got the gift of gab, but I learned to speak publicly because of my job. 15+ years of business management and retail sales taught me more than my entire JW experience ever could, something I love to rub in the smug stool oversneers face every time he gives me council on a talk.

• dog is god
    dog is god

I joined Toastmasters to learn how to speak. KMS is the most lacking program around. The only surprise about Toastmasters is that they never graduate! The first meeting I went to people had been in there 17 or 19 yrs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit