I'll have to think about that and get back to you

by donny 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Hmmm, If I were to play devil's advocate here and reach for my dub hat once again , I would probably answer something like this - off the top of my head.

We must of course examine the context of the scripture and the times in which the Roman congregation lived. The issues of Jewishness and the old Law were still burning topics among the Bros. Some wanted to keep parts of it, others did not.. Verse 1 to 4 say

14 Welcome the [man] having weaknesses in [his] faith, but not to make decisions on inward questionings. 2 One [man] has faith to eat everything, but the [man] who is weak eats vegetables. 3 Let the one eating not look down on the one not eating, and let the one not eating not judge the one eating, for God has welcomed that one. 4 Who are you to judge the house servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for Jehovah can make him stand.

The days in question here were not "pagan" holidays, they were part of the Jewish Law that some were reluctant to give up. Paul evidently said that there was nothing basically wrong in keeping them, although there was no need to. The situation is different today since the holidays have a pagan origin that is displeasing to Jehovah.....

Not bad for a total fabrication and complete B/S.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Donny,

Keep up the good work! You are making him think. The more you make the geers turn, the better!

Be sure to followup with him! And then give him something else to think about.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

He may answer the same way I answered that question to a bible study of mine many years ago. I said something like:

"Indeed....certain days may be more important to some Christians than others. For instance....may have elected to have a graduation party when I graduated high school. It was my choice. There is nothing in the bible that supports or condemns such a party. Another person may elect to NOT have a party for himself because having a party creates too much focus and importance on that one individual. And such self focus may bother his conscience. You see? To each his own. He should not criticize me for having a party and I should not criticize him for not having one. The importance here is that we make sure whatever it is we are celebrating is in harmony with God's will. Therefore there must be no pagan origins and it must be something that is approved by Jehovah through his faithful and discreet slave. "

Ugh. I make myself sick

• Open mind
    Open mind

Hmmmm. I wonder if an active JW would get in trouble for openly observing the Sabbath on Saturdays?

Probably.

om

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

well it won't be hard to figure out. Just go to the CD, that's what he is going to do

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit