Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus

by d0rkyd00d 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Diest
    Diest

Right cofty....doesnt that love of christ just give you goose bumps(pimples)? My Christian friends tell me all the bad/negative stuff is in the OT. Sorry to be off topic, but I really think the life and work of Jesus needs more scrutiny than most give it. You see videos or read books about how great christ is, but if we followed his word here, we would all be dead or in prison.

• N.drew
    N.drew

2551 kakologéo (from 2556 /kakós, "a malicious disposition" and 3004 /légo, "speaking to a conclusion") – properly, to speak evil, using malicious, damaging words that are calculated to destroy (misrepresent).

2551 /kakologéo ("calculated evil-speaking") tries to make evil seem good ("positive"), i.e. presenting what is wrong as "right" (or the reverse). 2551 (kakologéo) issues from a twisted disposition (make-up, perspective).

http://concordances.org/greek/2551.htm

• cofty
    cofty

I think you make an important point Deist. Christians blithely assume that the Jesus of the gospels is above reproach - they are much mistaken.

It would make a good thread I think.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Maybe someone's offspring who is intent on finishing off his mother and father should be shown some mercy for goodness sakes. Hey Mom and Dad toughen up a little. Anyway it's all your fault he wants you dead, right? So die why dontcha?

• tec
    tec

It is self-indulgent, vainglorious posturing.

Now see, I would have used those words to describe the amazing atheist.

but I challenge Tammy or anybody else to tell us what he gets wrong.

I don't care about the challenge. But if you want to know about what I see that he gets wrong:

The first thing right at the beginning that pops out to me was how he uses the word, church - he uses it wrong and not in the same way that the kid uses it. AA uses church as the organization and all that goes with that. Like ' the catholic church (the vatican and the organization)'. The kid uses it as it is meant... as people who belong to Christ, without any religious organization standing or mediating between them. Religion and Christ are not the same. Religion is the organization and rules and doctrines that people turn to in the supposed purpose of having faith in Christ and God (but too often end up having only a relationship with the religion).

Christ is the one religion is supposed to be pointing TO... but too often points at itself.

Religion is an institution of sight and rules and men. Christ is an actual being; the spiritof faith and truth.

It's like comparing love (the spirit) and marriage (the institution).

You can have love in marriage... but you don't need marriage to have love; and if the institution becomes corrupt, then it can stand in the way of love altogether.

He also asked 'religion - what = Jesus'

It is not a proper equation because there should be no religion in the equation. At most, the equation should probably read: religion - (everything but the people of faith seeking and listening to Christ) = the body of Christ, which is the actual church.

So how did we get from faith in Christ alone... to religion? By adding rules, doctrines, men's opinion and interpretation, greed, ambition, self-righteousness, hypocrisy, judgmentalism, traditions of men, claims to have/be the truth and way and and life... and loss of faith.

He kept doing that coke/soda thing... but he didn't understand any of the above to be able to see the differences.

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

You have illustrated some differences between your form of religion and others but nothing in what you have said undermines the point that you are religious by any sensible definition.

Of course you can re-define words to suit yourself but its just semantics.

• Flat_Accent
    Flat_Accent

Amazing Atheist won. ''But he swears a lot!'' So what, it doesnt detract from the point he made. Taking his statements out of context or completely making them up, bohm, is also a waste of time - we're talking about these two videos, nothing outside of that. Judgement should be made from these videos alone.

All Jefferson is trying to do is single out Christianity as the true religion. Look at how he starts his argument:

'Religion makes you blind, Jesus makes you see'

and how he ends it:

'Religion is man searching for god, Christianity is god searching for man'

This is just glorified, slick advertising campaign for Christianity. Saying that Jesus and Religion are two separate things is a completely idiotic statement. Jesus gathered disciples, and used them to establish a belief structure centered around him. It doesn't matter if Jesus said nicer things than Mohammed, they are both RELIGIOUS ICONS, and are worshipped.

Besides that, Jefferson himself admits to following all the tenures of Christianity, and pretty much encourages it:

'I love the bible, I love the church, and yes I believe in sin.'

There is nothing in this video that distinguishes Jesus as a separate entity from Religion, and you should be able to see that. Easily.

This video is completely pointless.

EDIT: I know I'm pretty much mirroring TJ's point, but It's worth repeating for those of you that stopped after the first 'F' word.

• tec
    tec

Religious and religion have different meanings right out of the dictionary, Cofty.

The meaning - "belief in God of deity" holds true. That is also described as faith (the word most use when they do not want to be confused with other definitions of religion). You can have faith without the institution of man-led religion; which often holds to traditions of men rather than the Truth of Christ.

But the meaning of observing rituals and rules and man-made traditions... another dictionary definition of religous - that does not hold true.

And that is what the young man in the video is describing. Being rid of the middle man ( rules, doctrines, men's opinion and interpretation, greed, ambition, self-righteousness, hypocrisy, judgmentalism, traditions of men, claims to have/be the truth and way and and life... and loss of faith)... and placing your faith directly in Christ.

Peace,

Tammy

• cofty
    cofty

This video is completely pointless. - Flat_Accent

Oh I don't know. Its got 18 million views and made the kid into a celebrity in the rarified world of the evangleical christian religion.

It also makes the christians who buy into this slight of hand feel superior to those the rest.

• Flat_Accent
    Flat_Accent

Yes cofty, its got a lot of views and kudos, but it's the same regurgitated stuff they've been saying for years. I didn't need to hear it again. It makes no worthwhile arguments and covers no new ground. In that sense, it is pointless.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit