Carlin on religion - enjoy ;)

by diamondiiz 4 Replies latest social humour

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

I've listened to Carlin many times in the past but a jw friend sent me this link today and this is what I really needed to hear today. Jehovah must have answered my prayer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o

• 00DAD
    00DAD

... But he loves you!

Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more!

• glenster
    glenster

George shows up every couple of months or so here. He uses a popular
    atheistic ridicule of a conservative stance (overlooking an M.Adler philosophy,
    a liberal interpretation, understanding of faith as such, etc.) like it's the
    whole consideration to choose about.

Ironically, it rests on proof is or isn't (overlooking faith understood as
    such) the same as a conservative stance only rejecting it instead of believing
    it. Neither shows the person understands how to do it any better than the
    other. The various fictions he compares the God concept to don't have the case
    going for them Adler provides, for one example, but George gives them as the
    same.

Hell--it depends. Is the afterlife stance inclusive or exclusive? The same
    considerations of inclusive or exclusive, each with pros and cons, arise in a
    concept of a eutopia on earth (such as Imagine, ironically).

It also uses the old argument to reject belief in God because the world isn't
    all-beneficent, which forces past the fact that either a believer or non-believ-
    er could being grateful for a shot at life and what good is found in it the
    same. Making a case against faith understood as such on those terms is to make
    a case against life and the will to live, which isn't an argument I can get
    behind.

He doesn't necessarily have a solid point about money, either: teachers de-
    serve a salary, including religious teachers, who typically only make a middle
    class income. In belief, I'd recommend a liberal teacher to be straight about
    it. Bullshit could be a rich guy who gave money to org.crime for his drugs his
    whole adult life, who could have reduced his pains otherwise, pontificating
    about what's wrong with others who include many who wouldn't do something that
    bad.

I like George generally, think he's bright and funny sometimes, I used to have
    a batch of his albums, but I'd disagree on some points. He doesn't improve on
    the weaknesses of some old arguments, although it's friendlier and funnier than
    the cranky editorial others might use. It doesn't make for the slam dunk
    against faith understood as such he makes it out to be.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Well this good ol' country boy seems to have it all worked out . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnyS2fiHm20

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

My Dad gave me this to watch about the time of my Departure.....

He brought a BIG Smile to my Face!

George will be missed!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit